Ideal video specs for size and compression?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
polkadotwhale
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ideal video specs for size and compression?

Post by polkadotwhale »

Wondering if anyone can recommend an ideal spec size for a movie to play well DP8. Editors keep sending me these massive QTs and I'd like to recommend a size for them for when I ask for my specs for reels. Thx.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Ideal video specs for size and compression?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I just use Quicktime Pro to export to a smaller size. The editors have enough to do. LOL.

720x480 seems to be a good size in general. Be sure the frame rate is the same as what you have set in DP.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
studio_651

Re: Ideal video specs for size and compression?

Post by studio_651 »

i also just use QT Pro to render my own work copies - i like to keep on the editors' good sides!

i export "movie to quicktime movie" with h264 compression, current framerate, automatic key frames, frame reordering, best quality (multi-pass) encoding, restrict data rate to 1500 kbits/sec, 960x540 size (deinterlaced), and AAC stereo audio, 48 kHz, 192 kbps.

i stream the QT from an SSD dedicated only to streaming QTs (no audio or samples). i also create a second copy of the 960x540 QT and delete the sound track (hit command + J, select "Sound Track" and hit the delete button at the top of the window). once i've opened up the "with sound track" QT in DP, have it lined up properly, and have copied the QT's audio to an audio track within DP, i close the QT and open the "no sound track" copy and get it lined up. the "no soundtrack" copy isn't that much smaller, but i think every little bit helps when you're streaming so much stuff at once.
Matt Morton | http://www.mattmortonmusic.com | 6-core Mac Pro 3.33 GHz w/ 32 GB RAM | DP 7.24 | UAD-2 Quad | RME Fireface 800 | i7 3930k PC slave w/ 64 GB RAM | i7 4930k PC slave w/ 64 GB RAM | VE Pro 5 with MIR Pro