2sd client lost. PT can open an OMF file that DP can't.

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
BERLY
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2sd client lost. PT can open an OMF file that DP can't.

Post by BERLY »

Hi everyone,

I’m disappointed because I’ve just lost a second video client because DP could not open correctly an omf file that ProTools can.

Two months ago, I lost an important film mix client that had switched from fcp7 to fcpx. As DP cannot open fcpxml files even via X2Pro, now the client goes to a ProTools studio. I know that there is a role audio export function in fcpx, but I need more (handles, crossfades, automations etc, as omf or aaf did. I’ve already spoke with Magic Dave about that. He told me he was going to share it with the team. So I hope DP9 will open fcpxml files.

This week I’ve lost a second client that comes for years with fcp7 omf files. He has just changed one thing in his workflow, the way he records audio. He uses a Atomos Shogun. He makes the fcp7 omf files as he always did, but DP cannot open them correctly. Audio soundbites from the Shogun are completely disordered.

We thought that the problem came from from his fcp7 session, so we spent hours to try many export alternatives tests, but nothing worked.

I also tried on another computer with DP8, same problem.

But ProTool can open it correctly ! So that client has also gone at a ProTools studio.

I know that I should buy ProTools but it’s a very expensive peace and it takes a lot of time to master both DAW. I’m working on DP for 19 years and switching to ProTools is not what I'd rather do but if I loose my main clients, I will be contained to switch, unfortunately.

One last thing. In the video department of my company, we have a Motu V4HD. The drivers have not been updated for Yosemite. And Yosemite is out for one year. So I wondered if MOTU is stopping his incursion in the sector of professional video or if they just have a big late for things related to video ??? Because if the opening in the video is no longer a priority sector, I can understand, but I’d need to know it.

If someone has found a workaround for those problems it would be great. I tried, but I did not succeed.

Sorry for my rough english, always difficult to explain with good words. So I really hope my comments are not hurtful or aggressive.

Best regards

Christophe
Christophe Berly
http://www.studio-slc.com
France
btate

Re: 2sd client lost. PT can open an OMF file that DP can't.

Post by btate »

I wish I had encouraging words. My main source of income is audio post for picture and I have been using ProTools for nearly 20 years. I also do a little music from time to time and have had DP for as many or more years. Over the last 6 or so years I wanted to move away from Avid and have tried on several occasions to use DP for some of my work, but like you, omf/aaf importing either doesn't work or is unreliable. ProTools can pretty much take any omf/aaf you can throw at it with no problem. I have opened omf/aafs in PT that were problematic in DP and exported as omf/aaf and DP would then open them just fine. DPs unreliable omf/aaf importing has bee discussed on the forum several times and there doesn't seem to be any movement and/or solutions from MOTU. The last upgrade I did was DP7 and it's doubtful that I will do anymore upgrades if this isn't solved by MOTU. It's a shame that MOTU doesn't get on this. Could be the post audio users aren't significant enough to MOTU, as opposed to the music folks to warrant delegating resources to solving the problem.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you tried AAF instead of OMF?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What does MOTU have to say. You did file a Techlink, yes?

This is from the features pafe for DP 8:

File import

DP files from previous versions
AudioDesk files
Standard MIDI files
OMF interchange files
AAF interchange files
Final Cut Pro XML

File export

Standard MIDI files (type 0 and 1)
OMF interchange files
AAF interchange files
The last upgrade I did was DP7 and it's doubtful that I will do anymore upgrades if this isn't solved by MOTU. It's a shame that MOTU doesn't get on this.
Have you tried the DP 8 demo?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

Yes, DP can open some omf files, I often do that, but unfortunately, not all the OMF files are opened correctly. Those that DP can't open, PT can, but I have not PT yet.
About files coming from fcp7, fcp7 cannot export AAF files.
DP cannot open fcpxml any more for a long time now (I know, it's written that DP can on the Motu site, but it's an old information).
I'm on DP8.
No I have not taken the time to open a new ticket, because unfortunately, they usually stay unread by Motu Tech.

Best regards.
Christophe Berly
France
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

BERLY wrote:No I have not taken the time to open a new ticket, because unfortunately, they usually stay unread by Motu Tech.
Best regards.
In my experience, MOTU do look at all Techlinks, you need to lodge one if you expect any action from MOTU. On occasion, I've followed up with a reminder to move things along, but they do respond. If it was me, I would also give MOTU an example file that wasn't opening, so that they can diagnose the problem.

In the meantime, you say that DP will open some OMF files. What is different between the files DP will and will not open? And if you have PT as you say you do, why not open the OMF in PT, saving out in a format that DP is happy with, so you can at least get going in DP?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

I have not ProTools. Only my competitors have :wink:
Maybe I'll be obliged to bye PT, but it's expensive.

And to open fcpxml files, we also have to buy X2pro. Just for being able to open files. But anyway, those files will not be DP compatible, even if PT export them in omf.
Christophe Berly
France
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

BERLY wrote:I have not ProTools. Only my competitors have :wink:
Maybe I'll be obliged to bye PT, but it's expensive.

And to open fcpxml files, we also have to buy X2pro. Just for being able to open files. But anyway, those files will not be DP compatible, even if PT export them in omf.
There's a sad reality to be aknowledged when you work with other studios: you have to have Pro Tools. When I can't import an OMF in DP, I open it in Pro Tools, export a new OMF, and then DP is happy. If you've seen the other threads I made one recently about DP and exporting OMFs...for now I need Pro Tools to fix my OMF because DP is changing the frame rate for no reason (23.976 to 24). Maybe DP9 will address this, but somehow I doubt it. Wait and see...

You don't need PT HD for this, if you can afford their $200/year plan, you might want to consider it.

I'm using Pro Tools as well, and while I couldn't care less about PT12 right now, I have until december to upgrade, which I'll do at some point, even if my "main" DAW is now DP.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

Thanks Morpheo for your reply.
I think I'm too much idealist and I want too much everything be perfect.
They are so many good things in dp but also some bugs.
I can understand that it's difficult for Motu to be always up to date everywhere. But that is the Motu problem. On our side, we have the customers problems witch are sometimes accentuated when you are not an english speaking customer. All is so complicated.
What I understand is I have to have PT even if I don't want it neither pay for it. I'll study the way to pay for a cheap ProTools version that can do the conversion jobs.
Best regards
Christophe
Christophe Berly
France
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

BERLY wrote: What I understand is I have to have PT even if I don't want it neither pay for it. I'll study the way to pay for a cheap ProTools version that can do the conversion jobs.
Well you don't have to - it was more a figure of speech :wink: ...But yes when it comes to exchanging files with others, DP has some issues... Like I said maybe DP9 will have a solution, and by the way MOTU you're starting to mess with my patience in that regard :lol:
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

...or you could figure out what OMF settings DP likes and ask your clients to give you OMF files that are in line with those settings...

And I say again, report the problems to MOTU (with examples) and I know you will get their attention. MOTU advertise DP as having the capability of reading OMF's, so you can rightly ask for some work to be done on this.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

BKK-OZ wrote:...or you could figure out what OMF settings DP likes and ask your clients to give you OMF files that are in line with those settings...
I've made spent so much time to my client to check different kinds of omf files and for a workaround. After a few days, he sent the file to a PT studio and he stopped loosing his time.
Morpheo wrote:And I say again, report the problems to MOTU (with examples) and I know you will get their attention. MOTU advertise DP as having the capability of reading OMF's, so you can rightly ask for some work to be done on this.
Yes I should. But as I have 2 tickets unread on Motu Tech for several months, so I thought that it would't be useful to add a third. They don't read them. But you're wright, I'll try again :wink:

Explaining technical details in English is always a big challenge for me (thanks Google translator), but I will do that for future.

Thank you
Christophe Berly
France
djwizprod

Post by djwizprod »

If you have Pro Tools... open it in Pro Tools and then export from Pro Tools to AAF, DP will open that AAF perfectly every time. Takes about 2 minutes, and your client should never have to know one way or the other. Unfortunate you lost clients over this, but I would say, where theres a will theres a way, and your client should come first and foremost here, so spending hours trying to make something work that obviously was not going to was a bad decision, and that's what ultimately loses clients.
MacPro8core28GB~OS108.5~DP9.1
PT10~MACH5~Symphonic~Reason~Symphobia~NIKOMPLETE~StormDrum2+3~EWSilver
MiniCore2duo2GB~VirtualVTR~TASCAMDM4800surround~2408MkIII~WAVESBroadcast/Surround360/NPP/VoxRider/GEQ/L316~UAD2DuoPCIe+Satellite~1176/LA2A/PulteqPro/Fairchild/SSLBuss/Lexicon224/Dreamverb
IzotopeRX5/Ozone7/StutterEdit
UA6176~U87~TLM103~AKG414~MKH416~MKH50~DPA4011Apair/COS11D~QuickTime7Pro/FinalCutProX/MackieHR824/624/HRS120~TelosZephyrXstreamISDN~SourceConnectPro
http://www.ozonesound.com
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

djwizprod wrote:If you have Pro Tools... open it in Pro Tools and then export from Pro Tools to AAF, DP will open that AAF perfectly every time. Takes about 2 minutes, and your client should never have to know one way or the other. Unfortunate you lost clients over this, but I would say, where theres a will theres a way, and your client should come first and foremost here, so spending hours trying to make something work that obviously was not going to was a bad decision, and that's what ultimately loses clients.
Thanks, yes, I do know that if I'd have ProTools I could open everything. But I haven't PT yet.
I consider spending about € 1000 for a utility tool is expensive. Indeed, that's the price on the french Avid website. I must also add X2Pro price to be able to open fcpxml files time to time.
So I hoped that MOTU could do something to finalize the DP video mixing compatibility.
But I understand that I have to resign myself and buy ProTools as soon as possible.
Christophe Berly
France
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

For problems getting useable OMF files from FCPX, try a utility called Xto7 (in the App Store). Turns an FCPX XML file into an FCP7 file which can then be opened in 7, from which a compatible OMF file can be generated. Of course all of the associated audio files need to be on the system that is creating the OMF, so this could impact whether you or the client has to go through the process (which is faster and easier than it sounds).

That doesn't address all of your problems I know but it might help. I'm with you regarding MOTU's lack of attention to these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III