2sd client lost. PT can open an OMF file that DP can't.

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
BERLY
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 2sd client lost. PT can open an OMF file that DP can't.

Post by BERLY »

Thank you very much Gary for this trick,

I thought about buying this software for a few weeks, but as it's a little bit expensive, I wanted to be fully sure that it works well before purchasing it. There are so much bugs in the OMF word… :?

So if I understand wright, I did it in your studio and it works fine for you ?

I also wanted to add a little information for people who advised me to open a ticket at MotuTech:
I did it 8 days ago but unfortunately, it's still on "unread" as two other tickets opened a few months ago. But I still hope it will come one day. :)

Best regards
Christophe Berly
http://www.studio-slc.com
France
btate

Post by btate »

mikehalloran wrote:What does MOTU have to say. You did file a Techlink, yes?

This is from the features pafe for DP 8:

File import

DP files from previous versions
AudioDesk files
Standard MIDI files
OMF interchange files
AAF interchange files
Final Cut Pro XML

File export

Standard MIDI files (type 0 and 1)
OMF interchange files
AAF interchange files
The last upgrade I did was DP7 and it's doubtful that I will do anymore upgrades if this isn't solved by MOTU. It's a shame that MOTU doesn't get on this.
Have you tried the DP 8 demo?
Yes. No difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
btate

Post by btate »

FWIW & FYI. Tried DP9 demo imported various omfs & aafs generated from various video rigs and was getting excited because everything seemed to be on the timeline correctly, but upon hitting play the audio files are corrupt and generate an unpleasant noise. I even tried regenerating the aafs and omfs by opening them in ProTools and re exporting them again, which seemed to work in previous versions, but same thing nothing but noise from the audio files . Looks like they're getting close though. Sort of promising.
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

BERLY wrote:Thank you very much Gary for this trick,

I thought about buying this software for a few weeks, but as it's a little bit expensive, I wanted to be fully sure that it works well before purchasing it. There are so much bugs in the OMF word… :?

So if I understand wright, I did it in your studio and it works fine for you ?
I generate the OMF at my client's edit studio (and taught their editor how to generate them) and open it at my studio. Mind you, my sessions from this client might be simpler than yours.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

Thanks Gary
I bought Xto7 in the meantime. Yes, that works fine to create omf from fcpx projects.
The disadvantage is that the client must still have a OSX drive with fcp7 on it. So that's fine but it is not yet perfect :) Most of time, he will find more easy to send it to a PT studio.
Best regards,
Christophe
Christophe Berly
France
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

MOTU Tech has finaly reply to the ticket I opened a few weeks ago, and there is a good new for us :
«We are actively looking to improve Digital Performer, and it's ability to import/export OMF files»

But nothing yet about fcpxml files.
Last edited by BERLY on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christophe Berly
France
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Unfortunately that's very old news. Back as far as DP 5 (at least) either OMF or AAF might work but never both. One of those really annoying non-functional "features."
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Someone just sent me an OMF from the current version of Premiere for the first time (she has sent me OMFs from FCP7 before, but FCP is now "dead to her"). The file opened in DP8 but it did not properly import the audio files and was useless. Opened right up in PT. So it's not just FCPX.

Unbelieveable this was not addressed in DP9.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
dix

Post by dix »

I don't have PT and need to get an OMF from an Avid editor. I can't quite figure out from this thread what the best strategy is. Should I ask him to output an AAF (can he do that? i don't experience with AAFs)? Have someone with PT open the OMF and reexport? Or are there settings in Avid the editor can use to make a DP compatible OMF?

...would opening and reexporting with LogicPro work? It's much cheaper than PT.

Thx!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've tried exporting AAF from Logic X and importing into DP. The audio tracks were created, but there is no automation fades etc. More or less the same thing as exporting audio from Logic and importing it to DP.

If you do end up having to go via Logic, I did a post on how to get Logic projects duplicated to DP. It focussed on how to get VIs duplicated, but there is a description of how to get the automation data from Logic to DP. PITA, but it works.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ic#p469897
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

This particular project is very simple. I just need the raw sound effects in sync and with handles from the editor. Is there any known way to do this with just DP? Is getting an AAF the way to go?

...i don't have Logic either. i was suggesting it as cheaper alternative for BERLY.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:This particular project is very simple. I just need the raw sound effects in sync and with handles from the editor. Is there any known way to do this with just DP? Is getting an AAF the way to go?

...i don't have Logic either. i was suggesting it as cheaper alternative for BERLY.
All I can say is syncing is something that didn't work when I tried AAF.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
dix wrote:This particular project is very simple. I just need the raw sound effects in sync and with handles from the editor. Is there any known way to do this with just DP? Is getting an AAF the way to go?

All I can say is syncing is something that didn't work when I tried AAF.
I've tried it a few more times. It would be great if I could get an export from Logic to DP to work properly. I've managed to transfer three project now, all accurately. Can't see what I did differently when it didn't work. The regions from Logic are showing up as Soundbites correctly placed in the timeline, and I'm getting automation copied correctly. I'll check but I think it must be a mismatch in meter, tempo, sequence start, etc, somewhere, and not a problem with AFF.

Sorry for the confusion.
dix

Post by dix »

OMF and AAF import seems to be working in DP9.01. Woohoo!
btate

Post by btate »

dix wrote:OMF and AAF import seems to be working in DP9.01. Woohoo!
Sounds promising, I'd love to try it out to make sure, but my demo has expired so I guess I'll check it out again when DP10 comes out.