2sd client lost. PT can open an OMF file that DP can't.

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 2sd client lost. PT can open an OMF file that DP can't.

Post by James Steele »

btate wrote:
dix wrote:OMF and AAF import seems to be working in DP9.01. Woohoo!
Sounds promising, I'd love to try it out to make sure, but my demo has expired so I guess I'll check it out again when DP10 comes out.
I think you could contact someone at MOTU and explain that you'd like to extend the demo period so you could see if DP 9.01 fixed your issue. You might be surprised how reasonable they can be.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

Hello,

After reading recent posts, full of hope, I've installed dp9.01.

I've opened an OMF file that dp8 couldn't open without bugs (while Protools did it correctly).

Unfortunately, the problems are still there. :(
(sorry, but I'll not explain everything again here)

But as I had sent the OMF file to MOTU TECH, and as they told me they would work on that, I still hope it will come one day :D

I also hope that DP will open .fcpxml files very soon.

Best regards
Christophe Berly
http://www.studio-slc.com
France
dix

Post by dix »

BERLY wrote:I've opened an OMF file that dp8 couldn't open without bugs (while Protools did it correctly).

Unfortunately, the problems are still there. :(
(sorry, but I'll not explain everything again here)
Skimming this thread it looks like not being able to open OMFs was your problem. Now that you can open them, is there something wrong with the sequences created?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
BERLY

Post by BERLY »

Hello,
I've just had an idea and made a new test :
- Made a FCPXML file from a FCPX timeline.
- Opened it in DaVinci Resolve
- Exported a AAF file from DVR
- Opened the AAF file in DP9.01
- The project opened by DP is empty, no sound file in it, as usual, unfortunately…

Christophe
Christophe Berly
http://www.studio-slc.com
France
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kdm »

I just tested an OMF from Adobe Premiere CC (which opened perfectly in Nuendo):

1 - DP9 opens the OMF, and very briefly I can see it creates a project with all of the soundbites, but then it asks to create tracks, and promptly creates a new blank project with created tracks, but nothing from the actual OMF import. The actual OMF-import project is closed, and has to be manually reopened.

2 - You have to keep track of which project save was the real OMF import project. It creates two in quick succession, asking to save each, but the process doesn't make sense when you import into an existing project (apparently not possible in DP, though it is in other apps).

3 - Upon open the actual OMF import project I found it can't link to the soundbites, and upon searching, no actual audio files are created. It simply creates soundbite clips in the project, but never extracts the audio from the OMF. I tried linking to the audio from the Nuendo OMF import, but DP apparently wants to link those files one at a time....not going to happen when there are hundreds of files, and it didn't seem to work anyway.

I tried three times with no success.

MOTU has some work to do to fix OMF support. This is basic stuff for file transfers. This was a "by the book" OMF.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There is something odd about the way DP 9 creates projects via imports. I have the same experience importing MIDI files to get a project started. Didn't happen in V8. By some methods, a new project is created, and DP asks if you want to save it. If you do, it disappears. By other methods, you can bring the external file into an existing project, and this doesn't happen, at least with MIDI. Using Open With ... on a MIDI file works, but takes forever. Clearly something is broken.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kdm

Post by kdm »

Same here - importing a MIDI file as a sequence works (creates a new sequence chunk in the current project), but that requires copying those tracks to a clipping window; then dragging that clipping into the current sequence creates duplicates of every imported MIDI track. It works, but doesn't seem properly refined.

Using "open" to open a MIDI file just creates a new project, which also isn't very convenient for importing a MIDI sketch into, for example, an existing cue or template.

Using "open" to open an OMF skips the extraneous blank project creation, but still no audio is extracted.
Mark Walmsley

Post by Mark Walmsley »

This year I have been mixing a lot of tv episodes that were edited in Premiere (previously in FCP7).
After some trial and error and the help of a post elsewhere on this list, I have been able to import Premiere's non self contained OMF's (i.e. there is a separate audio folder) direct to DP 8.07.
I. I open my DP OMF template file (set to same audio preferences e.g. 24 bit 48k) with my usual bus assignments, meters etc.
2. I drag the OMF from the Premiere export straight onto the chunks window. This sometimes takes a few minutes. You will at this point see the audio segments but no audio waveforms.
3. I then drag all the audio out of Premiere's audio folder and into DP's audio folder. Then DP calculates the overviews.
4 (optional!). I copy all track data from the imported Premiere chunk (it doesn't have to be enabled) to a clipping file and then drag it back into my enabled template chunk. I find this a time saver for setting up dialogue bus, master fader, limiter etc etc

I'm receiving about 6 eps a week and it now works every time. Please note that my Partner John Kane and I are still on 8.07
Mac-Pro 8 core 2010, OSX 10.9.5, Motu DP 8.07, Apollo firwire, TC Powercore Firewire. User since Performer on Macplus in 1988
blueslash

Post by blueslash »

Old post, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

Had this issue today between Premiere 5.5 and DP 8.07. My workaround is similar to Mark's ...

1. In Premiere, export OMF with Seperate Audio (Encapsulated would not work, same problem as everyone else).

2. Boot DP

3. Import OMF/AAF as Project

4. When Project boots, all audio files will be greyed out.

5. Open (Your_Project_Name)_omfiMediaFiles folder, that Premiere created from exporting Seperate Audio files, and drag the audio files into DPs Audio Files folder. DP will resync them automatically, draw the wav files and all works as it should.

I realize this doesn't help anyone with an Encapsulated OMF but just thought it might help someone with a similar situation.

Cheers,