Specific Question about DP and Learning DP Efficiently

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Specific Question about DP and Learning DP Efficiently

Post by Mathematics »

I hope to see some flexible customization of the interface in the future.

I'm new to DP but not to Digital Music...I guess, I've been considered as an intermediate level user. Anyway, I have a few questions that maybe you guys can answer:

1) What main difference is there between DP's pitch editor and Melodyne? Succinct answers are fine but I have no problem reading novels.

2) What mastering plug-ins complement DP's mastering tools? (meaning, what adds to but not overlaps or replaces what you can already do in DP)

3) I am studying movie scoring. My background is classical piano. I know theory. What resource best introduces knowledge in orchestral composition while learning workflow within DP?

I know the answers may be very subjective and I apologize for asking such questions. I have nothing to lose by asking and perhaps my question may be someone else's question in the future?
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Specific Question about DP and Learning DP Efficiently

Post by mikehalloran »

1) What main difference is there between DP's pitch editor and Melodyne? Succinct answers are fine but I have no problem reading novels.
DP can do a few things that Melodyne can but faster and easier – it's the go-to for many of us that also own Brand M.

Melodyne's advanced functionality is not found anywhere else. If you need it, nothing else will work.

No need for anyone to write a novel. All the info you need is found in the manuals and web sites for both products.
2) What mastering plug-ins complement DP's mastering tools? (meaning, what adds to but not overlaps or replaces what you can already do in DP)
Everything overlaps everything else. Plugin makers don't want to second-guess what you may or may not own.

Mastering to Red Book, DDP etc. require another program or a third-party plugin. There are a few recent threads on this.

Having written that, I consider Izotope RX 4, Ozone 6, Nectar 2 Production Suite and Eventide Ultraverb to be essential tools in my kit. The MOTU mastering plugins are very good and sometimes I'll use those.

No two of us have the same rig, I bet.
I apologize for asking such questions.
No reason for that. Use the Advanced search in this board, look for things like reverb, compressor, mastering etc. and you will find the novel that you may be craving. We have all written extensively on these subjects.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Mathematics »

Fantastic replies.

Ah yes, RX-4. That would be a perfect addition. Thank you.
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Mathematics wrote:1) What main difference is there between DP's pitch editor and Melodyne?
Melodyne's DNA (direct note access) is kind of stunning. You can use it to edit the pitches of polyphonic tracks-- i.e., change notes in chords! I don't have this, but that's what I've drooled about. DP's pitch is quite good and similar to Melodyne in basic ways. I've seen vids of folks working very quickly and efficiently with DP on pitch tweaking. It's always worked fine with vocals in my projects. Get to know DP's anyway, as it will do what you need for basic stuff. Wait until you are familiar enough with it to then try a Melodyne demo.
Mathematics wrote:2) What mastering plug-ins complement DP's mastering tools?
I love DP's Dynamic EQ, MW EQ, and MW Limiter. I use WaveArts Multi-Dynamics, but I think DP's is similarly good. One thing I needed to add was a master channel tube/tape simulation, because I did a few projects that required a vintage type of tone. I got a great deal on Nomad's Magnetic II which I quite like using.

Because of the "level" that I am at, my budget is quite limited, so there are high-end tools that have languished on my wish list for a decade. So this advice is largely second-hand.

Having some repair tools like good Noise Reduction, de-clicker, de-clipper, etc. for live recordings and some time & pitch things are very helpful. There have been a number of times when I've had to spend hours searching a very zoomed in waveform then using the pencil tool in order to repair some clicks cause by a f'd up interface. DP does this work pretty well, but if I had a de-clicker, it would have made it easier.
Mathematics wrote:3) What resource best introduces knowledge in orchestral composition while learning workflow within DP?
In a way I think of these as separate questions. But you are right to acknowledge that the software and workflow will influence the compositions.

I've seen some interesting workflow videos, where composers show you their process for "jamming" a soundtrack to a scene. I say "jamming" because they play the scene and layer on parts in realtime.

I have several different workflows for generating material. I sometimes start at the piano or guitar with manuscript paper, a pencil and an eraser (!). The first draft is a hilarious scrawling. I sometimes layer on as described above. Ostinatos, bass things, melody bits, and some editing. I'd say I've stumbled onto about 5 or 6 different methods for making things, but I feel a little squeamish talking about it, as it almost makes me feel superstitious.

There are a couple of useful books by David E. Roberts, published by Hal Leonard, that give you good workflow guidance.

Of course, watch the MOTU vids on YouTube.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Mathematics wrote:... Succinct answers are fine but I have no problem reading novels.
What is it that's happened in the past month I wonder, that's seen folks stipulating parameters of reply? This is rare, even almost unheard-of, in this neck of the woods.

Mathematics, you can ignore this as it's directed to the forum in general. Besides, you covered all the bases with that one, mate.
Mathematics wrote:I know the answers may be very subjective and I apologize for asking such questions. I have nothing to lose by asking and perhaps my question may be someone else's question in the future?
Of course! I like this attitude, for the little it may be worth.

The excellent replies pretty much say it all, really, but I'll add that for monophonic, especially vocal material, DP's pitch correction is more than adequate, even excellent if you're not asking it to correct by ridiculous intervals.

Also, the Groove3 instructional videos have proved popular here on the forum. Establishing a workflow is obviously something you'll simply have to experiment with; I've found, much to my disappointment, that none of the "courses" on offer "tell" me what to do in this regard. This is however an obvious strength of DP in that the choices are many and varied, which is how most would have it.

Sorry I've got nothing for you really, mate. Good luck!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
billf

Post by billf »

mikehalloran wrote:
Everything overlaps everything else. Plugin makers don't want to second-guess what you may or may not own.

Mastering to Red Book, DDP etc. require another program or a third-party plugin. There are a few recent threads on this.

Having written that, I consider Izotope RX 4, Ozone 6, Nectar 2 Production Suite and Eventide Ultraverb to be essential tools in my kit. The MOTU mastering plugins are very good and sometimes I'll use those.
I agree. I might also consider adding Insight, perhaps the Slate VMR/VCC, FabFilter Pro-Q, even a few Waves items such as L3 plugins to a list of mastering tools.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1