New Orchestral Suite from UVI

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Orchestral Suite from UVI

Post by mhschmieder »

I posted about this a few days ago in the MOTU Symphonic Instrument forum because I'm wondering if this is UVI's packaging or subset of the upcoming V2 of that product.

I still haven't seen any posts or articles anywhere that give a clue, so am not sure whether it's worth taking advantage of the April discount on this product if it will be made redundant by a possibly larger library from MOTU shortly afterwards.

The demos I've listened to so far are impressive. Warm and natural. A very different character, also, from other libraries. I still use VSL the most of anything though.

My original hope for MOTU Symphonic Instrument 2 was that it would extend the range of historic instruments. As MOTU is in Cambridge MA; they are quite near the nation's largest collection of historic instruments (Museum of Fine Arts in Boston -- though I heard rumors the collection's future was at risk due to funding and also I think the original curator finally passed on at a very ripe old age -- was it Friederich Heune?).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Just to clarify, you can get this for around $160 or so this month. Forget the $200 price! I haven't listened to all the demos yet, but this library is certainly good value for money and more than competitive with other offerings in the budget range.

Jennifer Hruska (SONiVOX) recently rereleased (I'm guessing; they might be fresh new recordings though) her symphonic stuff in new packaging; presumably ARIA based vs. Kontakt hosted this time. I still can't find details and haven't taken the time to contact her personally yet as the last I heard she was quite busy working on a PhD in Music Composition. Anyway, hers was the first large symphonic library and was well recorded and also warm and natural (dry).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hmm, the soloed demos aren't as impressive overall, but still sound good for the price. I think the strings are likely the main strength of this library in terms of the main instrument groups.

artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

There could be a few 'gems' in the collection, but...

For less money, and the best deal on the planet, is the 'Diamond Orchestra' from Kirk Hunter Studios. Can't be beat for the price. Extremely versatile and great for pretty well any situation.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
Woimiow
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Woimiow »

artfarm1 wrote:There could be a few 'gems' in the collection, but...

For less money, and the best deal on the planet, is the 'Diamond Orchestra' from Kirk Hunter Studios. Can't be beat for the price. ...
Really? You forgot, this is maybe good for full Kontakt player owners. Who dont have full Kontakt player it is + 400 € more.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Unfortunately, it's true that Kontakt is needed to use many of the great libraries out there. But once you get Kontakt, you wonder how you live without it!

I held off as long as possible myself (until I got tired of hanging onto Logic just so I could use my Kirk Hunter instruments by piping them into DP via Soundflower.... that was very cumbersome and counter-intuitive to quick work.)

UVI has some tremendous libraries. For chamber orchestra pieces with solo instruments you could probably do anything with what's available for UVI. And for the bulk of pop and world music too. Excellent synths and much more.

For the record, I own and love Mach Five and have bought some UVI libraries.

Their new orchestra library could be very useful indeed. I'd like to buy the UVI Solo Instruments someday.

But, having Kontakt is something once does need to consider. If you don't have it, you're really limiting yourself as to what's available out there.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Just an FYI, Machfive 3 is currently not compatible with the new UVI libraries I bought recently, String Machines, and Sweep Machine. Hopefully this changes with an update.

String machines is heavily affected, the samples do not loop... So yeah, Machfive is the big brother to UVI player, and it gets updated slower....
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

My big brother is slower than me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

So is mine, bro'. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I was torkin' 'bout 'u, boo! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

... and I, yooo, booo!

Hey, you're the big one. I'm just the ugly one.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here