Independent films and audio

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
cowtothesky
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Independent films and audio

Post by cowtothesky »

Hey guys,
I just finished working on an independent film and wondered if any of you had encountered this. The film mix was fine. But a few weeks later, I was asked to do the music and mix for the trailer, which I was glad to do. I sent a standard (24bit/48k) stereo wav file of the full mix as agreed. I tested it to make sure everything was right before sending. All was good on my end.

The person handling putting the mix to film apparently rendered it in a mono format, or had some kind of weird effect on it, making it sound mono. Very disappointing. I know that on larger budget films, they have teams of people who handle this process, but on lower budget independent films, it is usually 1 or 2 people, sometimes with very limited experience when it comes to audio. I am beginning to wonder if I should insist on being present when they render the final video.

Is there something I'm missing in video editing programs that complicates importing audio? If I knew more about what they do, maybe I could make a list of instructions on how to import and export audio when I send them the audio file.

What do you do when you can't trust the people you hand the audio off to?

Would love some opinions. I just want to avoid this from happening in the future.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Independent films and audio

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've definitely been there more than once. Sometimes post work is done and the composer/sound designer simply isn't even informed, in which case it becomes something to add to a contract. I have absolute horror stories where the tracks were so distressed and mutilated that the film was actually destroyed as a result. You couldn't even understand the dialogue, and the effing producers did't say a word to the post guys. These are the same producers who put us thru hell in the composition process and our contribution to the post sound, but then they pay ridiculous rates to have the film destroyed and are afraid to say anything to the final post guys for whatever reason. It is maddening.

My only suggestion is to tell them (if you haven't already) how the track was messed up and if you have the influence, demand they fix it. Once it's released, there's nothing you can do about it and your reputation suffers.

I feel your pain, man. I've even seen this on higher end commercial releases I've done. It's like they care about every detail until the home stretch and then they cave to some moron who overcharges.

Artistic control over the soundtrack is written into my agreements whenever possible and if not, I make a loud noise about fudge-ups. Thing is, they sometimes like to kill the messenger.

I hate the living!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I'm with you. I can't, for the life of me, understand why you would go 99% there and at the finish line, mess it up. Makes no sense. :banghead:

I found out what happened. One of the producers uploaded the wrong version of the trailer and it got tweeted out so much, they are going to leave it up. I spoke with them and they are going to upload the correct version in the near future and they sent the correct version to the distributors, so thank god for that. Other than the thousands of Facebook shares and tweets, it will be fixed. :(
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
MIDI Life Crisis

And the blame falls where?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Well, the producer eagerly took credit for the error, but I get what you're saying.

I'm just glad they knew what they did. I would be way more concerned if they didn't know. It still sounds pretty decent in mono, but I have all kinds of panning things, as you would in a trailer. Hopefully, they'll get the right one posted soon.

If something is going to go wrong, it's going to happen to the audio. I hate to micro-manage, but when you put so much time in something, you want it right.
AyanPrince
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by AyanPrince »

One of the producers uploaded the wrong version of the trailer and it got tweeted out so much, they are going to leave it up. :koolaid:

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ouch. That's a bummer. Would they object if you wanted to host the proper trailer & mix on your site as well?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

So they made a mistake but are too "whatever" to fix it. The mark of a true professional. Not. Seriously, how hard is it to replace an online file?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Sometimes the problem is that you've already posted it and a specific link is being shared on social media. On YouTube, for example, you can't replace a video and keep the existing URL. Once a video link is gaining traction and spreading on social media, pulling it down and breaking the link is not good. I suppose you could just quietly post again and have a second URL out there. Yep. Check, double-check and check again before posting to social media.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

I see. Still, a second link is probably not a bad idea.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I see. Still, a second link is probably not a bad idea.
True enough. It's redundant and won't necessarily gain traction, but better than not. Real quagmire when they post the wrong one. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Makes you wonder how one becomes "qualified" as a "producer." Good ones are truly worth their weight in gold. Bad ones... well, you know. :mumble:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS