Couple of questions re: Creating streamers

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
hf78
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Couple of questions re: Creating streamers

Post by hf78 »

Hi there,

I am new to DP. I watched the DP tutorial about film scoring, which is really helfpul to get started. But I've more questions and hope, someone around here can help?

The Situation
The job is to create streamer in DP 8. We have several reels as QT-movies with a various number of cues per reel. All cues in DP start at bar 1. A Quicktime movie is already lined up with the TC of the session. There is also MIDI infos about time / tempo changes and an audio layout.

Questions:
1) I have to create 2 bars of "pulse streamer" before the music starts in bar 1. How can this be done? It won't let me start a streamer on -1.

2) I have to create 1 bar of "sweeping streamer" before every meter change within the cue. Is there a quick way of doing this?

3) Each bar might get a punsh on the 1st bear. Is there a quick way of doing this?

4) Streamer & Punshes need to be exported as quicktime file for each reel. I want to get all cues of one reel exported into one movie file. In the end there should be only one movie file for each reel, including all streamer / punshes. How can this be realized?

I really hope, someone around here can help! Thanks a lot in advance.
Best
hf
monkey man

Re: Couple of questions re: Creating streamers

Post by monkey man »

As is typically traditional in simian families, I use toilet paper. Works a charm, and you can collect it after the party and put it to its intended use.

Sorry hf. Someone with a brain is bound to pass by here shortly. I'll vacate the area to help ensure it...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mswillsher

Post by mswillsher »

The overlays in DP need some improvement but should work for what you desire. You might consider looking at the streamers program (www.figure53.com) if you need to do a lot of this. I am hopeful that motu can improve these features in upcoming releases, but until then... Anyway to answer your questions:
hf78 wrote: 1) I have to create 2 bars of "pulse streamer" before the music starts in bar 1. How can this be done? It won't let me start a streamer on -1.
Use a 2 bar PreRoll - this will then give you a yellow streamer into 2 bars before bar 1 followed by a green into bar 1.
hf78 wrote: 2) I have to create 1 bar of "sweeping streamer" before every meter change within the cue. Is there a quick way of doing this?
Not that I am aware of - you'll need to manually add a marker with a streamer event at every meter change.
hf78 wrote: 3) Each bar might get a punsh on the 1st bear. Is there a quick way of doing this?
Recently motu added an option for "none" to the punch size dropdown menu. Which should allow you to have punches on every click but turn them off for everything but the downbeat. I looked at this once when it was added and couldn't get it to work reliably though - it that is still the case you'll have to add the punch manually at each bar.
hf78 wrote: 4) Streamer & Punshes need to be exported as quicktime file for each reel. I want to get all cues of one reel exported into one movie file. In the end there should be only one movie file for each reel, including all streamer / punshes. How can this be realized?
You'll need to use a screen capture (with audio) tool for this. I recommend "Screenflow" which is available on Apple's app store.

Best Regards,

Mark
hf78

Post by hf78 »

Thanks, Mark! This is really helpful.

1) where do if find this PreRoll function for streamer?

4) i thought the streamer would be burned into the quicktime file automatically, when bouncing to mov. does it not?

Thanks.
hf
mswillsher

Post by mswillsher »

You'll find the preroll settings for visuals under the countoff options.

You are probably right about exporting straight to a quicktime - I would just try a short clip and see. The reason why I have never tried that is with this type of video I always want a bar/beat counter overlaid as well - which DP won't do - so I have to do a screen capture to get the bar/beat counter as well.

Best,

Mark
superzozo

Post by superzozo »

) where do if find this PreRoll function for streamer?

4) i thought the streamer would be burned into the quicktime file automatically, when bouncing to mov. does it not?

Fut coins

fut 15 coins