Do you mix film soundtrack in PT or DP?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by supersonic »

HI everyone,

I have been using DP for 18 years and PT on the side (a lot less). Among the things I do is mixing film sound. I was wondering what your take on that was. Have any of you compared the two platforms directly?
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Do you mix film soundtrack in PT or DP?

Post by MikeInBoston »

I guess nobody has an opinion on this. We mustn't have any film composers on the forum. I'd be interested in a response to your question, too.

Mike
frankf

Post by frankf »

Ok I'll bite. Both! My studio is DP, but if mixing elsewhere it might be PT.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I also meant full soundtrack. Not only music but dialog and fx included. What do you think about the ease of use of one versus the other?
frankf

Post by frankf »

I generally have no input on where the film (audio) mix is nor do I usually go to the mix so I'm back to "can't help you," sorry.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

I mixed an 1 ½ hour Independent film on DP 7.5 and with Waves and DP had everything I needed to mix a 5.1 and Stereo. My only issue was getting them a cut which was speeded up for (and I can't remember right now) another format. I have not messed with DP time stretching ability since but it would not work for me then. By the way, I brought it over to DP 8 at the end.
DP automation makes FX and Dialog very easy once you know what you want to do. The files I received were some what pre-mixed and DP played the automation seamlessly. Hope this helps.
DP has very strong tools once you learn them
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I know DP more or less inside out as far as mixing is concerned but not so much PT. I was wondering if someone had experience in both worlds.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

supersonic wrote:I know DP more or less inside out as far as mixing is concerned but not so much PT. I was wondering if someone had experience in both worlds.
I'm in the process of moving back to DP after spending time in the PT world and while I haven't yet done any film work in DP I have done some in PT11.3.1 and it's a nightmare. Working with video in PT as it currently stands is - let's put it this way - I'd rather have a root canal without anesthetic than do anything video related in PT. Lots of glitches and crashes but if you can get passed that then it's decent provided you have the aax format plugins you need. Want more than one video track and you need PT's dsp platform as the 'vanilla' version only allows one video track.

Then there's the matter of PT not playing nice with all codecs.

If you're thinking about going PT be advised you can only buy new PT12 but you get an iLok license asset that gets you PT10, 11 and 12. And right now PT12 has a bunch of issues that make it not worth the time.

I realize this may cross the line of 'comparative daw 101' that James says is a no-no for this forum and I apologize for that ahead of time. I try not to get into that but coming from PT land I have a hard time fighting the urge off (not to defend PT but just offer up my experiences from that side of the fence).
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MikeInBoston wrote:I guess nobody has an opinion on this. We mustn't have any film composers on the forum.
Any chance it might be because it is not in the Digital Performer: Film/Video Scoring & Post Production thread?
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll move it. Makes sense.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Or it might be that once people use DP there's very little reason to bother since there's nothing to actually compare it to when it comes to working with picture. I've watched engineers in top LA post houses struggle with PT when working on my film projects but I've never bought or used PT since first seeing it in action (or inaction, if you will - even if you won't). At the time I was using Editrack on an Atari and couldn't understand why you'd buy it or use such a convoluted program.

I've also talked at length with the top audio guys at Pixar and was told they use PT at work because they have to under some agreement (this was about 10 years ago) but when they go home they use DP.

What I do when mixing any large project is dedicate one sequence and sometimes one entire project to the final mix and use a multi-sequence project for scoring and design, ADR, etc. That way VIs don't get in the way when they're not needed as much (with heavy instruments, etc) and the soundbite count is more manageable. All music cues are generally in one project and no monster templates of hundreds of tracks are ever used or hurt in the process. I know a lot of people do that and have every little articulation on a different track. Personally I find that to be anal retentive but that's another issue for another thread and I'm already waaaay o/t at this point.

I hope that's marginally helpful, Mike in Boston (and elsewhere).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

A little bit of a zombie thread here, but since it's been resurrected I'll jump in.

A lot of major composers work in DP, but when it comes to the full mix I've never seen it done in DP. When you consider that virtually all the FX and Dialog editors work in Pro Tools of various versions, when it comes time to put it all together, Pro Tools is the common format. Plus most of the control surfaces are Avid on the dub stages so you need compatibility to feed sessions together. Most mixes for TV and features use at least 4 Pro Tools systems on-line. One each for Dialog, FX and Music, and another dedicated as a multi-track recorder for stems and print masters. These run in "satellite mode" as one big system. There are also often off-line systems for dialog and music for making fixes while on the stage. These fixes are then track-transferred to the on-line systems to be integrated with the final units.

Not to say that DP is incapable, it's just not widely accepted across the entire spectrum. If someone were doing an independent project entirely in-house, then you could set up DP to do the job. I suppose you could link multiple systems together with just a timecode feed, but it wouldn't be very elegant. Also, the lack of destructive record and sub-path routing (ex: sending a 5.0 bg stem or LCR foley stem to a 5.1 printmaster) really makes the process cumbersome.

As much as people here generally love to hate Pro Tools, it is the standard that brings everything together.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Very good points, Rockcity. You are correct AFAIK that PT always seem to have the last word in most pro productions. I don't love to hate PT or anything else. It just so happens I don't like PT just as I don't like Windows, but at the end of the production, they still get the job done.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Now here is what I call real world input. Thanks! :) I have done close 50 film projects in DP, scoring and mixdown. Since I did the scoring and mixing and all in-house I could always get away with doing it this way. But now that I am teaching at the Science University of Gdansk (Poland) where they have Protools I feel I need to jump into it on order to give them a real world option. DP is practically unknown here in Poland. I begun using it 20 years ago back in France where I studied at SAE and where I worked for many years afterwards. I have PT11 and have used it sparingly so I know a little bit about it. I love the template system they have. Less cumbersome then DP's.
The multi chunk system in DP is a god send and I would not think of actually scoring in anything else. I am planning on showing them this side of it while concentrating on PT for the recording and mixdown since everyone here uses it (either this or Nuendo). Few questions pop up after what you said.

@rockitcity
- Why do they use 4 independent systems? Can't one big system handle it all? Is it for the redundancy's sake?
- what do you mean by sub-path routing? The ability to send to many destinations at the same time?
- DP has destructive recording though I never use it.

@Musicman691
What do you mean by multiple video tracks?

I use VEP pro a lot. I find it more stable with the big projects? Anyone here doing the same?

What surface control do you use?

DP Control IOS - has this broken recently? I have been trying to us it and it keeps crashing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

supersonic wrote:DP Control IOS - has this broken recently? I have been trying to us it and it keeps crashing.
I can't really answer most of your other questions, but for this one, I can.
MOTU have acknowledged Control is non-functional on current (recent) iOS versions. If you have an old version of iOS, it may work, and some people here have reported that they have it working, but it hasn't worked for me for over a year now.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku