Guy Michelmore Scoring Videos. I love this man!

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Guy Michelmore Scoring Videos. I love this man!

Post by dix »

MOTU posted this on FB the other day and I've been watching his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AyswacaFd0

He's got a great approach and has lots of interesting tips, even for someone like me who's been scoring for a good long time. He's got a monster rig, so some of his tips are not for everyone, but it's cool to see how he works.

There's a bunch of videos here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMHG0r ... hiP63FJakw
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
daveyboy

Re: Guy Michelmore Scoring Videos. I love this man!

Post by daveyboy »

Ditto! I'm getting back into DP and just found him last week. I especially liked seeing how he uses step input regularly and have started trying that myself.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
dix

Post by dix »

daveyboy wrote:Ditto! I'm getting back into DP and just found him last week. I especially liked seeing how he uses step input regularly and have started trying that myself.
I have too because of his videos, but with limited success. I can't seem to ever get notes to show up where I want them. I may need to actually crack the manual to figure it out! :)
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

His videos are very useful - I like his studio setup and have tried to copy some aspects of this in terms of ease of use. He is a very good advert for DP.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Yes, enjoyed several of his videos. The use of step input is something i'll be exploring, too.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

He seems to have switched to Cubase Pro as his main DAW for his videos now. While he appears to have all the main DAW's on his menu bar, Cubase Pro has been appearing in all his latest videos. So perhaps he has moved away from DP now as his main DAW. Not sure if this means anything as to DP's issues under El Capitan or Sierra that many have reported. Maybe he just prefers Cubase Pro in it's latest version.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

To add to the confusion, according to the info under the video, it was posted on youtube (Oct 13) nearly 2 years before DP 9 was published (June 15).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

bayswater wrote:To add to the confusion, according to the info under the video, it was posted on youtube (Oct 13) nearly 2 years before DP 9 was published (June 15).
I meant his latest videos - he did a video about DP9 a while back - but now it all seems Cubase Pro on his website ThinkSpaceEducation.
Gary Shepherd
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
bayswater wrote:To add to the confusion, according to the info under the video, it was posted on youtube (Oct 13) nearly 2 years before DP 9 was published (June 15).
I meant his latest videos - he did a video about DP9 a while back - but now it all seems Cubase Pro on his website ThinkSpaceEducation.
I was referring to the posting date and the title of the video from the first post.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Hi.

Guy switched to CubasePro as his primary DAW mid year last year I believe. He had used DP for ages in his career and at ThinkSpace. He never went into why or bashed DP afterwards, but has moved on.

The courses at ThinkSpace are all dual DAW now with Cubase and Logic being the DAWs used to demonstrate the concepts (though any DAW can be used to execute the material).

Some of the course videos were a little humorous as Guy tried to execute things in his new DAW after years of using DP. To his credit, he kept bits of that footage in there as all of us struggle with learning something new at some point and it's good to see someone as experienced as him "grow into his new shoes".

He's a great guy and very talented with a long list of IMDb credits to his name.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

He seems to be in "partnership" with Steinberg as a Cubase trainer - so whether Motu have missed a trick, or whether Steinberg made an attractive offer we won't know. It's a shame as he was a good advert for DP. On the other hand it's clear that differences between DAW's are less than they used to be and someone like him can switch as his basic modus operandi does not need to change too much. Cubase Pro, Studio One, Logic etc all look pretty similar - I can't see any need to switch from DP - especially given the cost of these DAW's (even Logic is now £200). I shall still watch his videos as his tips can still apply to DP even though he is now a Cubase user.
Gary Shepherd
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Still....bummed that he switched. We need more DP using "Guy Michelmore's" around.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Guitar Gaz wrote:He seems to be in "partnership" with Steinberg as a Cubase trainer - so whether Motu have missed a trick, or whether Steinberg made an attractive offer we won't know. It's a shame as he was a good advert for DP. On the other hand it's clear that differences between DAW's are less than they used to be and someone like him can switch as his basic modus operandi does not need to change too much. Cubase Pro, Studio One, Logic etc all look pretty similar - I can't see any need to switch from DP - especially given the cost of these DAW's (even Logic is now £200). I shall still watch his videos as his tips can still apply to DP even though he is now a Cubase user.
The major "dinosaur" DAWs all have similar feature sets, at least enough to write in. I used Logic for years, and it along with DP probably have the most unique features. Even then, DPs big feature difference is Chunks, Logics is the Environment, for a lot of people neither feature is that important. Cubase always strikes me as the middle man, mostly the easiest to use with cutting edge features at a price, stable versions aren't as common as in DP or Logic.
I have a friend who uses Cubase because it was the easiest, but at this point it looks pretty convoluted if you see Guy's video for Cubase 9, finally getting features that Live, Logic and DP have had for years. Nothing entices me about Cubase, besides VCA Faders, which I would bet DP gets in the next upgrade or so..
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Someone at his company answered my enquiry about his switch -

"The main reason for this is because Cubase is rapidly becoming the industry standard for media composition. "

I don't know if that is true or not - I am always suspicious when someone says something is an industry standard. Anyway - that is the answer given.
Gary Shepherd
dix

Post by dix »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Someone at his company answered my enquiry about his switch -

"The main reason for this is because Cubase is rapidly becoming the industry standard for media composition. "

I don't know if that is true or not - I am always suspicious when someone says something is an industry standard. Anyway - that is the answer given.
Sounds like wishful thinking, marketing-speak or an attempted Jedi mind trick. ...but, really. In Europe Cubase is very popular. ThinkSpace, being in England, probably cater a lot more to that market so it makes sense that they'd partner with Cubase. It is too bad though.