video out

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
mikeharper
Primary DAW OS: Windows

video out

Post by mikeharper »

NEW USER!! :D I Just installed DP8 on a PC.
Can I route the movie track output to a external monitor using a kona or blackmagi card??
Thanks
DP10
Asus 490a, Win 10 pro,
Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 Audio & sample drives
16G ram. MOTU 8A USB3-Thunderbolt
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: video out

Post by James Steele »

Welcome! Dunno. But hopefully the ball will get rolling and someone will chime in! You might want to call MOTU tech support and/or post this in the DP Windows forum where more people might see it. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikeharper
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mikeharper »

Answer I got back for tech support is NO . Must me a motu video card.
DP10
Asus 490a, Win 10 pro,
Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 Audio & sample drives
16G ram. MOTU 8A USB3-Thunderbolt
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikeharper wrote:Answer I got back for tech support is NO . Must me a motu video card.
Bummer. I'm a Mac guy, so don't know anything about the popular video cards on the PC side. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It used to be you could run the movie out via Firewire as long as it was a ds file. I thought that was still the case. Do PCs not have FW outs? Is there a card for that?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bralston

Post by bralston »

I have found the best and easiest way to do this is to honestly just add a second (or third if your video car supports it) computer monitor. I have a 70" flat screen that I send my video to in my studio. It is just a third monitor for the MacPro. A mini-display port to HDMI converter works great. AND the video has no frame delay like going through a DV firwire conversion. It really is the best way.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bralston wrote:I have found the best and easiest way to do this is to honestly just add a second (or third if your video car supports it) computer monitor. I have a 70" flat screen that I send my video to in my studio. It is just a third monitor for the MacPro. A mini-display port to HDMI converter works great. AND the video has no frame delay like going through a DV firwire conversion. It really is the best way.
Boy... what a timely post, Brian... thanks! You read my mind. I was thinking of getting an HDTV finally and I'm "playing" with Final Cut and doing music video and have an ATI 5770 card capable of running 3 monitors and was wondering what to do for a viewing monitor. Is the conversion process to HDMI necessary? I was thinking you could also just use VGA if you got an older flat screen that had that input and just set output to the native resolution of 1080p video?

I'm probably over-thinking it. If you have a link to a decent mDP -> HDMI converter unit and could share, it would be appreciated. :)

bralston

Post by bralston »

Hey James. If it is a second monitor you could just use one of these from monoprice.com

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

If it is a third monitor, I gets a bit tricky and needs the "Dual Link" mini Display port to DVI adapter for Both mini display ports on the 5770 (and the 5870). It needs this only when driving 3 monitors but does work well if that is what you need to do.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks Brian. Looks like the second link is same as first? I'm not home but it is a third monitor. I have a 30" DVI Cinema Display on the DVI connector and a 24" Cinema on one mDP port with an active mDP to DVI adapter.

bralston

Post by bralston »

James Steele wrote:Thanks Brian. Looks like the second link is same as first? I'm not home but it is a third monitor. I have a 30" DVI Cinema Display on the DVI connector and a 24" Cinema on one mDP port with an active mDP to DVI adapter.
My bad on the paste of the Apple link. Here is the correct Dual-Link DVI adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571 ... vi-adapter

You would have to use one of these on EACH of the mDP ports to effectively drive the 30" monitor. I have the 5870 card...but I believe the ports are the same on the 5770...just the processing power is different. They are expensive and each require a simultaneous plug into a USB port....BUT...you do not lose a USB port because it has one on the adapter as well and just passes through the USB connection while drawing power off of it to help drive the monitor.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Thanks Brian!

leosujatovich

Post by leosujatovich »

Hi, can anybody recommend a hardware in order to get my video signal totally separated from my computer monitors?
Something like MOTU HD Express or Black Magic Design?
Thanks!
Leo

I use DP8 with Mac Book Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I was about to post a new thread asking a similar question. Setting up a video card that can output HDMI to a larger flat screen is definitely one way, but I'm also wondering about how much that taxes the CPU and so forth on my main mac. What else do people do to synchronize a separate computer or device hosting the video? I remember in the past people were talking about some other 3rd party software that could basically turn a mac or pc into a virtual video machine that can sync to SMPTE. In that way all of the video decoding and playback processing, reading from HD, etc.. happens over on that other computer and leaves the DP computer free to host plugins and so forth. Does anyone have any experience with any of those solutions or anything smilar that offloads all the video processing to another device? Seems like if DP can just send SMPTE sync from a MIDI timepiece or whatever......

but need to be able to nudge the video around frame by frame like can be done when the video is being handled directly by DP.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

So I found VirtualVTR, but too expensive. Found another one, more affordable called Video Slave. Still not cheap at $250, but turns any old mac into a dedicated VTR that can slave to MTC and MMC over MIDI or internet.

Another solution I saw somewhere which is not a half bad idea, take another old computer, mac or pc, run some old version of a daw you have laying around...that supports video and slaves to MTC. Then just use that to play back the video.

The MOTU hardware is interesting, but doesn't offload processing, but at least it does output the video through a dedicated output that is not one of the computer "monitors", though I see little advantage to that, particularly for the cost involved. Might as well just use a 2nd or 3rd monitor as others have suggested.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32