Frame rate/BPM math madness, how dum am I? [Solved]

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Frame rate/BPM math madness, how dum am I? [Solved]

Post by BKK-OZ »

OK, this should be simple, but it ain't, anyone willing to point out my dumb mistakes wins one beer.

I am working on a synced animation/music piece.
A simple example of the work I am doing is to imagine a piece that is 60bpm.
- each beat is one second, each bar is 4 seconds
- I always work in 25fps in both DP and my animation software

The piece I am struggling with is 90bpm, in 4/4.

My math tells me that each 4/4 bar in this 90bpm scenario should equal 3 seconds.
- each beat is 75% of a second, and 4 beats to the bar gives me 3 seconds.

I have a count-in silent intro of 2 bars (8 beats).
By my reckoning, the audio should therefore start at 6 seconds in (there is a kick hit on the downbeat of the 3rd bar, 9th beat in).

The music starts at 5:33 seconds in (first kick hit), not 6:00, like it should.

My tempo is clearly 90bpm, the time signature is 4/4, and the sequence starts at 0:00.

The Conductor Track shows as 120bpm though, but I don't see anyway to change it?

Now, who wants that beer?
Last edited by BKK-OZ on Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Frame rate/BPM math madness, how dum am I?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Is that MIDI or audio you're trying to sync?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Rendered audio from some VI's.
(The recorded audio lines up with the MIDI tracks, no apparent sync problem there.)
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

I was wondering if it might be a timestamp issue.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

hmmm... should be no timestamping involved - all done within the one sequence, no tempo changes or audio importing (though I did export some of the soundbites to .wav files, but that shouldn't effect anything.

Thanx for the lead though.

p.s.
Being that we Oztrailians are ahead of thee there in US (timezone-wise), I remind you of the super moon out tonight. Beautiful here, even through heavy cloud cover, worth staring up at for awhile.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

Thanks for the reminder. I saw the moon on a walk with my wife and snapped a few nice shots. Quite beautiful evening in L.A. last night. OK, back on topic...

Are you using realtime or frames as the counter you're referencing? If it's frames, it could be different from realtime elapse time readings.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's too early in the morning for math, but isn't a 3 second bar 80 bpm, rather than 90?

BPM 60 70 80 90 120
Beat Duration 1.00 0.86 0.75 0.67 0.50
Bar Duration 4.00 3.43 3.00 2.67 2.00
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm no math wiz (far from it), but I think 1 beat at 90 BPM = 2/3 second (.6666), so a measure would be 2 - 2/3 (2.6666). Is that 3 beats in 2 seconds?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Indeed. Looks like a simple math error.

.6666 sec x 8 beats = 5.33 sec.

So, I think it's bayswater who gets the beer. Or perhaps stubbs should get one too. Oh what the hell, drinks are on BK! 8)
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

That's what I get for trusting someone else's figures at face level... I mean value.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Beers for everyone!

I knew it was something stupid, I just couldn't see it.

I have been running renders, compiling music etc. until the wee hours (it's 6am here now) and my mind is mush. I am trying to pull together a submission for an arts festival and the deadline - eeke!

Thanx for that, going to sleep now for awhile, will try changing the tempo to 80bpm when I get up again - I hope that sorts it, otherwise, I give up.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Re: Frame rate/BPM math madness, how dum am I? [Solved]

Post by BKK-OZ »

Yah, that was the problem.

Proving, yet again, the truth of the old saying:

There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those that can add, and those that cannot.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku