scoring for film... courses?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
HarmonicMotion

Re: scoring for film... courses?

Post by HarmonicMotion »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
I was accepted to Berkley in Boston
In the 70s there wasn't a live audition and interview process for Berklee (you've misspelled the name). This was the case until about 8 years ago. When I was there, there was a program called student ambassadors where high level academic students would interview (one of the 3 parts of the application process now, there is an audition as well) potential students. I interviewed close to 200 students around the country traveling for the school, and I know that about 20% of whoever interviewed actually were considered. This was far from the case in the 70s.

You say that you can learn all of this from books like you do in college. I learned nothing from a text book. I learned from private composition lessons, hands on classroom DAW application, and conducting student performers to picture. No book taught me any of that, and all the ones I read had huge mistakes in them. The point is that all of this was hands on, and I personally studied with teachers who are doing several films a year. They have connected me in my move across the country, and I've been able to get tons of work through that (the networking you are saying is missing from school). Also I've been recommended by fellow students who studied Sound Design, among others.

No one I went to school with would do a buy out for $1000. That is a joke, and it's insulting that you would suggest that fresh college graduates know so little about the music business that they would accept something like that. for $1000, I expect to keep my rights and the publishing (writers is obviously not negotiable).

BTW, while I've only spoken of film, I do a lot of commercial work to. I've read over 15 contracts for music licensing, and signed about 6 because of the terms. We are not all wide eyed and stupid. For instance I just did 75 minutes of music a very LB indie 95 minute feature film. He offered $10,000 and I negotiated publishing and copyright ownership. He was fine with that.

I understand that you've made yourself without formal education. I don't disagree with that. I do however disagree with only offering a negative opinion to formal education on a thread where the original question was do you have suggestions for programs, not do you completely suggest that people doing these programs end up on there backs. They only do if they don't make anything from it, as I stated in my original post.

Thanks.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

HarmonicMotion wrote: I understand that you've made yourself without formal education. I don't disagree with that. I do however disagree with only offering a negative opinion to formal education on a thread where the original question was do you have suggestions for programs, not do you completely suggest that people doing these programs end up on there backs. They only do if they don't make anything from it, as I stated in my original post.
I don't think you read close enough. MLC's response was not negative towards education at all!
He's entitled to his opinion, and his argument is sound. I certainly did not interpret it the way you are.

The reason I asked him was because I was curious to know what an obviously successful colleague thought about his own education in hindsight. And I loved the answer! (and I went to Berklee too).

There are VERY successful graduates who make it big in the business. There are also VERY successful self-taught musicians who didn't attend college. There are also people, like someone I know, who sells vacuum cleaners door to door for a living, after finishing his doctorate in physics.

College/university won't hurt, but in no way guarantees success. I see it here every single day.
HarmonicMotion wrote: ...end up on there [sic] backs.[/b] They only do if they don't make anything from it, as I stated in my original post.
It's on their backs :mrgreen:
Last edited by FMiguelez on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

HarmonicMotion wrote:In the 70s there wasn't a live audition and interview process for Berklee (you've misspelled the name).
Indeed there was an interview and score submission process. I don't know where you got your information from but it is incorrect. I don't have time to read the rest of your post. I generally don't get past the first big mistruth and continue reading anyway. Hope it was a good one.

Back to work. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

ps - OK I skimmed it. I could give you names, even to at least one prominent and successful member of this forum from USC who had EXACTLY the problem I described in terms of buyouts. His instructor said it was "standard" and he came to me. In the end he got $1000 for a three month or so license to the O network - including, hopefully, PRO $$$.

If I had to give you one piece of advice, sir/madam, I would say:

Don't believe everything you think.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

pps - no disrespect, but I also never take seriously comments from anyone who remains anonymous. If you want to have your words taken seriously (by me at any rate) show your face,otherwise, it might as well stay shut as far as I am concerned.

Again, no disrespect...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:pps - no disrespect, but I also never take seriously comments from anyone who remains anonymous. If you want to have your words taken seriously (by me at any rate) show your face,otherwise, it might as well stay shut as far as I am concerned.

Again, no disrespect...
Seems somewhat disrespectful to me. Seriously, stick to the topic and no need to make things personal please.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Apologies to the OP if this if off topic, but I've been looking for awhile for a good reference text on film/TV composition. (prob. more sound design, actually)

I'm not looking for anything that covers the business side of things, that side bores me and I find it all pretty straight-forward. I am looking for something that addresses frame rates, sample rates, codecs, sound formats (both file formats and 5.1+ issues) and other technical sound-film/video matters.

I have a couple of good books on mixing already, such as the one by Izhaki, but I was wondering if there were some books that were more focused on film/video?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
MIDI Life Crisis

James Steele wrote:...

Seems somewhat disrespectful to me. Seriously, stick to the topic and no need to make things personal please.
I suppose I get a little defense after being called a liar. THAT is when it got personal.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HarmonicMotion

Post by HarmonicMotion »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: I suppose I get a little defense after being called a liar. THAT is when it got personal.
For the record, no one called him a liar.

On the other hand, here are three instances of MLC calling me a liar:

"I generally don't get past the first big mistruth and continue reading anyway"

"I don't believe, however, that telling someone they have a good film when you know it's not true is being particularly honest"

"I don't know where you got your information from but it is incorrect"

Now that this thread has been completely ruined and hijacked, I believe it would be respectful to the OP to return to the question at hand. I recommend Berklee both online and in person.
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

BKK-OZ wrote: I am looking for something that addresses frame rates, sample rates, codecs, sound formats (both file formats and 5.1+ issues) and other technical sound-film/video matters.
For this kind of purely technical aspects search youtube. There are tons of tutorials and I'm sure you'll even find someone who took the time to explain all that using your DAW of choice.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
MIDI Life Crisis

BKK-OZ wrote:I am looking for something that addresses frame rates, sample rates, codecs, sound formats (both file formats and 5.1+ issues) and other technical sound-film/video matters.
PDF : https://library.rice.edu/services/dmc/g ... sGuide.pdf

Site: http://www.audiostream.com/content/guid ... file-types
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

. Indeed there was an interview and score submission process
I happen to know that MLC and I graduated high school the same year.

I can assure you that I went through the same process that he did. I was accepted to Berklee but elected to attend San Jose State.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote:
. Indeed there was an interview and score submission process
I happen to know that MLC and I graduated high school the same year.

I can assure you that I went through the same process that he did. I was accepted to Berklee but elected to attend San Jose State.
Thanks for that Mike. I attended the university of H.K. and still attend...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HarmonicMotion

Post by HarmonicMotion »

mikehalloran wrote: I happen to know that MLC and I graduated high school the same year.

Scroll up, I said audition and interview process, the one they refer to as A&I.

http://www.berklee.edu/president

Specifically this sentence:

"As well, Brown has led Berklee to adopt a more selective admissions policy that requires an interview and audition for all applicants to the college"

I believe Roger Brown replaced one of the Berk's in 2004.