Movie Start Time

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Aaron Guidry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Movie Start Time

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Hello!

If I load a 2-minute movie and want the music to start at the :30 second mark, is there a way to start that :30 second mark at measure 1? In other words, I'd rather not have blank space/measures in the project before the :30 second mark. But, I can't seem to figure out how to make the movie start at :30 instead of :00.

"Set Movie Start Time" seems to only ADD blank space; I can't seem to DELETE space. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Aaron
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
stubbsonic

Re: Movie Start Time

Post by stubbsonic »

Try Set Chunk Start Time... it is in the Chunks window mini-menu,
and also in the tracks overview window on the sequence list just above the tracks list. If you set the start in the FRAMES area, that will create the offset.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

That seems to work!

But...when I now import the movie audio, it's not matching the actual video. It seems to be importing about 2 seconds of audio BEFORE where the movie now starts. In other words, the movie's audio and the imported audio are off from each other about 2 seconds.

Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's weird. Usually the movie lines up with the audio after importing. I assume you;re using the DP audio import feature? Could your project frame rate be different from the movie frame rate?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Yep, using DP's "Import Movie Audio" feature by right-clicking on the movie.

Frame rate is correct.

Update: The imported audio isn't just 2 seconds off. It's about 8 seconds. So, there's an 8 second additional amount of imported audio vs. the movie's audio. Not sure what's up!
frankf

Post by frankf »

If you use the movie audio: Open the movie, set the movie start time to the first frame of the movie, including pre-roll. Then set the sequence start time to your cue start. If you import the audio (and setting the movie start time), set the sequence start equal to the movie start time. Locate to the cue start time, drop a marker, go to the cue end time, drop a marker, then select the time in between by clicking on the cue start marker. Make sure the i'port end audio track and conductor track are selected. Then use Copy Selection to New Sequence.
Make sure that Smart Selections is OFF and you have use the same movie for all sequences checked.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

I've got an update:

In doing a ton of troubleshooting, I've found that if the Conductor Track's tempo is the same throughout the project, importing the audio at a point other than :00 is no problem. The imported audio and the video sync up perfectly.

However...

If the Conductor Track's tempo changes, even slightly, at any point(s), the imported audio will NOT line up with the video.

The offset varies depending on how many tempo changes there are and the difference in tempo. In other words, sometimes there's 7 seconds of extra audio; sometimes 10 extra seconds; etc. depending on the number of tempo changes and how extreme those tempo changes are.

So...

How do I make up the difference? Is there a time setting somewhere I'm missing?
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

I assume you don't have a Time code burn in window.
In the movie window, check "Set movie start time" make sure the start time is set to 0 (or whatever TC it starts if you have it).

Instead of importing the audio create an AUX track and output the movie audio to it. Use trim plugin if you have split dialog and fx so you can have a track for each and adjust volumes individually.

Then find the spot where you want the music to start.
Put a locked marker there
Then add that location for "Set chunk start time".

You sequence should have the marker on beat one.

Once you figured out your tempo and meter put it in the conductor track then use the function "insert measures". Then I add 2 measures for count in.

Everything should be in sync given you are using the proper frame rate.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

ironchef_marc wrote: Instead of importing the audio create an AUX track and output the movie audio to it.
I created an AUX track, and output the movie audio to "New Aux Track Via New Stereo Bundle-->bus 1-2.

But...

When I bounce, the movie's audio is not part of the bounced movie.

How do I get the the movie's audio to bounce with this AUX method?
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

You have to highlight select it when you bounce and it also has to go to the same output that you are bouncing as well.

If still a problem print that track

You can also bounce to QT
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV