Exporting Video - video start time?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

Hi all,
I'm having trouble figuring out how to set the appropriate start time when bouncing to video. I have a bunch of sequences for various cues in my film, all of which start at a particular SMPTE offset of the same video. I'd like to export just one of them to send off to a director. I am able to select everything and bounce->video as expected using the Windows h.264 video exporter, but the exporter doesn't use the SMPTE offset - I get a file that is the length of my sequence (let's say 2, mins), with the correct audio, but with video that starts at SMPTE 0. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Mike
DP 8.05, Win 7x64
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Exporting Video - video start time?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Select a time range with the tracks you want included then with the selection active (highlighted) choose bounce to disk. Only the selection will bounce.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, that is the exact process that doesn't work for me.

If I highlight a section of music and bounce to a video, the resulting file has the correct audio, and is the correct length, but the video starts from the beginning. The bounce process appears not to be respecting the selection start time, only the length. Unless somebody can point out something I'm overlooking, this sounds buggy. I think I'll start a techlink.

Cheers,
Mike
Win 7x64, DP 8.05
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

It's not buggy... :roll:

You must set the movie start time (starting frame) to match the start time of the music (or time-range selection start time).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

I have set the movie start to 00:00:00:00, but I don't want to bounce the whole movie. I want to bounce just one sequence, which has a sequence start time of 00:02:00:00. In DP, the movie and music line up correctly, but on selection and bounce, they do not. The resulting file is the correct length and contains the correct music, but the video starts from 00:00:00:00, instead of from 00:02:00:00 as it should.

Changing the movie start time to the start of the music simply shifts the video later.
MIDI Life Crisis

Maybe you've done this, check the manual.

The counter display HAS TO be set to FRAMES.

Set the movie start time to the visual code on the movie file.

Set the chunk start time to the same. This should sync the two perfectly.

Subsequent cues only require you change the chunk start time to locate to the new cues. The measure counter will reset to 1 in the subsequent cues.

Selecting data and bouncing at that point results in a partial movie based on the selection times.

Also check the MOTU YouTube channel for the procedure of scoring to picture.

If all that still fails, you need to contact MOTU for detailed troubleshooting as there is something wrong with your system. It works perfectly for everybody else.

Good luck.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Thanks for the response.

Yep, have read the manual, watched the videos, and tried those steps several times with this project and starting fresh ones to make sure I didn't muck it up somewhere along the way. Same outcome - no matter what I do, I can't get a partial video file that matches the selection in any chunk that doesn't start at the same time as the video. I suspect this is one of those extra-special windows-only issues. ..

Anyone else using DP 8.05 on windows 7x64 that can either confirm there's an issue or confirm that I've somehow screwed it up?

I've started a techlink and will update the thread when I hear something one way or the other.
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Just heard back on this, and they've confirmed that there is an issue for Windows users exporting partial videos from sequences with chunk start times > 0 (iow, sequences that start in the middle of the video).

FWIW, following the procedure in the video tutorial (merging to a song, then to a new sequence) does produce a correctly-synced video assuming the new sequence starts at the same time as the video. So there is a workaround - though pretty annoying if one's doing multiple revisions.

I'll post updates when I get them. Thanks, MLC, for the troubleshooting help!
MIDI Life Crisis

Sucks for sure. They'll fix it. Thanks for the update.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Just an update on this - the issue appears to have been resolved by the 8.06 update. Sweet!