The Film Scoring Challenge: Logic vs. Digital Performer

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Film Scoring Challenge: Logic vs. Digital Performer

Post by Dan Worley »

Chris Fitzgerald of Seawolf Studios does a great job presenting this. I found it fascinating to watch someone work in DP in a way completely different from what I do each day.

DP10.13
Phil O

Re: The Film Scoring Challenge: Logic vs. Digital Performer

Post by Phil O »

Thanks for posting this, Dan. I don't have time right now to watch the whole thing but I'll be coming back to it later. I may download it and sync the audio up to the video before I watch. That's annoying as hell. And what does he mean, "There's no such thing as .976 frames?" I understand the problems with 23.976, but that doesn't mean 23.976 is not a real number. So he's off to a bad start with me, but I'll give it a watch at some point anyway. Thanks again.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

After watching that, you have to wonder why you would use Logic for this purpose. (Other than the price of Logic.)

A question: in this particular demo, what was the point of the tempo calculations? The audio he pasted in was a fixed length already timed to match the scene in the movie. Shouldn't he have used MIDI for the music to better demonstrate the point?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Many thanks for the explanation about the Streamer proved untranslatable into french : it thus serves as a visual marker of a Marker with a movie ?
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _