Asking the Pros

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
advancedspectrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Asking the Pros

Post by advancedspectrum »

When you are using virtual instruments (strings, solo instruments), do you usually run the audio track through any de-noiser plug-ins? I read that some engineers apply some filter/denoiser to remove any background noise. Library sounds by themselves are usually well recorded and processed by the manufacturers before they are shipped out. Question however is, even if you wanted to clean them, how would you do it without giving the plug-in such as iZotope RX an area to learn (usually the noisy part)? I can think of applying EQ. But a noise removal software? Any tips advice would be helpful on this topic.

Thanks
Adam
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Asking the Pros

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

My basic approach is the less processing you apply the better. Applying processing for it's own sake it like a dragon chafing it's own tail. Every added processing plug or device is going to add some kind of coloration. That can get out of control fast and you will be chasing your tail trying to figure it out. Or worse, it'll make it to a TV station or post-session going to DVD or film and get uber-compressed and the stuff you added that you couldn't hear will become a liability.

Less really is more. Of course, if you HEAR something, DO something. But if you don't hear a problem, don't create one by fixing something that may not even be there.

Engineers are paid to engineer. If there's nothing to engineer, don't let them engineer it.

That would be my 2¢.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The only issue I usually run into with noise on samples is at the tail end of a song, when a number of sustained notes are allowed to die out, most typically for me, with Ivory piano. Because each note is sampled individually with natural decay, the cumulative noise of a fistfull of notes that have decayed into the noise floor can become an issue. If so, I'll record and sample the decay passage and apply Isotope RX. Doesn't take too long, and can really help, but is only required when the VI is very exposed.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Spam deleted. Took less time deleting it than the five follow-up posts commenting that it was spam. LOL
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I liked how the guy with a post count of one was "making this thread a sticky."
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

When you are using virtual instruments (strings, solo instruments), do you usually run the audio track through any de-noiser plug-ins?
No!

Noise reduction plugins are for noisy tracks.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Bryon865
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Bryon865 »

Great idea.