mp4 or .mov ?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Schweats
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

mp4 or .mov ?

Post by Schweats »

Never having written/recorded anything to picture , I've recently and consistently keep getting emails from the "VideoBlocks" website inviting
a trial download period of anything they offer.
All selections they offer are in either mp4 or .mov files.
Which one is more : desirable, appropriate, or just simply mo' better ?

Many TIA - Schweats
Schweats
MacPro 2.8/OS 10.10.1/6g ram/Powerbook G4/1g ram/10.4.11/828 mk3 hybrid/MTP AV usb/DP 7.23/Stylus RMX/Omnisphere/Trilian/Mach Five v2/RealGuitar/Korg Oasys/UAD2-Quad card & various plugs/Novation Zero SL mk2 controller/Akai MPK61
kats_corner
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

mp4 or .mov ?

Post by kats_corner »

I do a lot of audio for video, so I end up working a number of different video formats. The choice between mp4 and mov depends at least a little on what you intend to do with it. Generally, I've found mp4 to be somewhat better wrt portability, as it is recognized by more systems than mov is. If you're going to edit the video, you'll be better off with the mov, as long as your video editor supports it. If you're on a mac, mov is native. Inside DP, while it supports more than just mov now, I've had dubious results in video editors after DP exports the video, unless I gave DP an honest-to-goodness mov to start with. FWIW.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
Ken: Owner/Engineer, KaT's Corner Recording