stems in a 5.1 mix

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
jbyerly1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

stems in a 5.1 mix

Post by jbyerly1 »

Could someone point me to a reference, book etc. that might help me understand the principals of 5.1 mixing. I've seen some of the basic guides that cover placements of different sound fields but hoping to get into some details on how you would apply stems to a 5.1 mix. I have not used another DAW so I don't know if all DAW's operate the same in a 5.1 but i'm hoping to learn more so I am ahead of the game this fall when I will be tackling another 5.1 mix. One question I have is : Is it better to start the mix in 5.1 and convert to stereo.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: stems in a 5.1 mix

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Are you talking music, SFX, or what?

Music is usually not in the 5.1 format but is stereo. Dialogue is center track. So we're talking SFX?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jbyerly1

Re: stems in a 5.1 mix

Post by jbyerly1 »

I'm sorry. yes for film. Basically what I did was take a finished mix then convert it to 5.1 and realized that I could not subgroup stuff together (overheads, music, fx) as I had it. The way I work is to control volume mostly. It was just easier at points to automate the sub fader instead of always having to go to specific tracks. Don't know if this is common but it worked for me. I'm just trying to get my head around how you work efficiently with 70+ 5.1 tracks and was hoping someone might be able to steer me to some good reading materials that might offer some helpful advice.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com