Start time offset in DP 8.04 for film scoring

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dcoscina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Start time offset in DP 8.04 for film scoring

Post by dcoscina »

Hi All

It's been a few years since I actually used DP for film scoring (just haven't had any projects since then) and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to start a cue mid way into the film. I recall using Chunks and setting my movie for all sequences but I cannot for the life of me get the music to start mid way into the film without the film start jumping forward as well. I'm sure this is just me getting older and forgetting but I have consulted the DP manual and perused through other similar threads here to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Start time offset in DP 8.04 for film scoring

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The key is selecting FRAMES as the format you are setting. It doesn't have to be the default or even a format you're using, just the one you are adjusting in the dialogue boxes, so while you're setting the time for the start, FRAMES need to be visible in the transport window - you can change it back when you're done setting the start times.

Be sure the start times IN FRAMES is set to the same number in the movie as well as the sequence. This can simply be zeroed out in both if there is no visual code, or the first numbers that appear on the film visually (or in the SMPTE code).

NOW... move the wiper to the location you want to have the SEQUENCE start. Remember or write down the FRAMES from the transport window. Go tot he drop down in the sequence for START SEQUENCE TIME (or start chunk time - whatever it's called) and enter the numbers you just got from the transport.

Don't forget that now that you have a new start time, you also have a new set of numbers in the transport, so until you double click or otherwise set the start time FOR THE TRANSPORT it will still go to where you had it set previously. That is what bites some of us (myself included) on the butt. All the times can be set correctly, but the transport is still pointing to the old start time.

I hope that's kind of clear. I usually set the start time in the SEQUENCE SETTING to two seconds before so I have a little lead in since the DP countoff is a little wonky sometimes.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dcoscina

Post by dcoscina »

Thanks so much for the quick response! Yeah the film I have has no SMPTE time code so that makes it extra fun.

I began scoring it in Pro tools 10 (don't ask why) and thought "what the hell?" and moved all my cues into DP. This is where DP really shines- having multiple sequences assigned to a single movie. A lot easier than opening up multiple cues in separate sequences...

But I guess that's how Logic/Cubase/PT and all those other suckers do it...ha!
Mac Pro 2.66 ghz w. 15 gb RAM, DP 7.24, Kurzweil PC3x, MOTU 2408Mk3, Symphobia 1&2, LASS, VSL VI/VE Pro,MOTU Mach5.3, SI & Ethno 1, Omnisphere, Trilian, CineBrass, Albion, tons more...
MIDI Life Crisis

But did my suggestion work?!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dcoscina

Post by dcoscina »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:But did my suggestion work?!
yes indeed! Thanks kindly!
MIDI Life Crisis

Whew! I always have this fear I've made a typo or something and destroyed someone's project. That set time thing where you have to reset the start time in the transport after setting it in the movie and sequence gets me every time.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS