Good video capture card? or box?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
twistedtom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Good video capture card? or box?

Post by twistedtom »

I am looking at getting a Nikon D7100 DSLR camera and it had a HDMI out put for uncompressed video. I will need some sort of capture card or box to bring the video into my Mac, right? I want one that has the most bang for the buck so to say.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
FutureLegends

Re: Good video capture card? or box?

Post by FutureLegends »

Yes, you do. But you also need to capture it while shooting, so unless you're shooting mostly studio or at controlled/planned sets a computer with a capture card is quite impractical.
There's things like the Atomos Ninja that would be better choices then.
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, be very careful, video capture cards are incredibly touchy and use all different methods of interfacing with software. My company bought a bunch of Black Magic cards, and they practically crippled their editing systems. My favorite was a good old Sony DVCam with a FireWire internal card. It was SD, but it did everything internally itself and the computer didn't have to do anything. Speaking of which, I believe many cameras can just output material through USB or FireWire ports. Most NLEs have a capture system that can come right off a camera. Only reason for capture cards is for devices that don't naturally have a computer-compatible video stream. If you can get away without using a capture card you'll be much better off.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Recently worked with a cinematographer who used the Atomos Ninja system, I was incredibly impressed.

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..