Avid Artist Mix + DP7

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
martinruel

Avid Artist Mix + DP7

Post by martinruel »

Hello DP users,

i'm into the process of designing a new music mix / 5.1 post room. It will be based on a DP7 system (waiting a bit to jump into running on a 2011 MMS quad i7.

Here comes the question : have any of you run successfully 4 Avid Artist Mix on the same computer?

Any tips you can give me?

Thanks

MR
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Avid Artist Mix + DP7

Post by Killahurts »

I did, about 2 years ago. I had (4) MC Mix and (1) MC Control, first generation, when they were Euphonix.

They were great as controllers, way better than the MCU protocol I use now. The problem was that they were not at all efficient with the CPU. I had relatively bad performance, and how many of these one has in the system makes a big difference. A couple times, the controllers brought my 12 core to its knees.

I don't know if they ever fixed all that with DP, but being that we're talking about Avid, I consider it vey unlikely..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
martinruel

Post by martinruel »

How can a controller make a computer perform badly?

We are talking here a driver and IP adresses. RIght?
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Yes, but it's not just a simple driver (like Mackie Control). The Eucontrol software integrates completely with DP, with its own protocol and its own application running in the background. One can do some very cool things with Eucontrol, e.g. locking faders to specific channels, on a per project basis, and all the macros that can be programmed if you have an MC Control..

But when I spoke with the Avid folks (then still Euphonix), they said the problems were with the way the software interacts with DP's API. They were seriously working on the solution at that time, but then they were sold to Avid and they became completely silent on the issue, at least to me.

Again, this may have been fixed in the 2 years since I used them. And, I had an MC control as well, which could have been responsible for problems that wouldn't occur with just the MC Mixes, who knows?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
martinruel

Post by martinruel »

Hello Killahurts,

i understand all this. I know it's more than a driver. And contacting Avid isn't easy...feels like i have to sign a contract with my blood under full moon after a virgin unicorn sacrifice only to ask a question to Avid.

I hope that they fixed this in that 2 years period because none of my suppliers have the ArtistMix in stock and none of them have them in rental.

So how can i know 4 units will perform good with DP? It seems to be the perfect/best controller right now......but investing in 4 units + the desk is a little scary.

Looks like i'll do a little more research before getting money out.

Thanks.
fullertime

Post by fullertime »

I finally splurged and bought the Avid Artist Mix Control surface. It was tough to fork over $1500 but let me tell you... It is freaking AMAZING with DP.

100% total control of almost everything. Completely customizable.

At first I thought 4 faders wouldn't be enough but the way the thing thinks and responds to DP makes 4 faders plenty.

I have already shaved off hours of production time and my only regret is that I would have bought this long ago!

I usually don't go crazy over stuff unless it is legit.... The artist control is legit!

I can't speak for running 3 or 4 together but it doesn't seem to tax the CPU at all.

Good luck bro
Fuller
FULLER - Raleigh/Durham, NC

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do."
--------------------
MacPro 3gHz 8-Core 16 GRam// OS 10.7.5 // ApogeePSX 100 // MOTU896 // MOTU Audio Express // DP8.01 //