I think I'm in over my head

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
jbyerly1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: I think I'm in over my head

Post by jbyerly1 »

frankf wrote:Reading this thread, I think you may need to read up on pull-up and pull-down in film. Search the web: there are several advanced articles that explain this. It's not just a matter of scaling time in DP. But why are they asking for both 24 and 23.98 versions? You should be working with a digital copy of the film that is the same format as the film editors are in their linear video editor app.

Frank Ferrucci
Thank you for the response. I will google that as soon as I can.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

If I could figure out how to post a screen shot I would from the Scale Time window

this is from wiki:

A pull up will speed up the sound by .1%, used for transferring video to film. A pull down will slow the audio speed down by .1%, necessary for transferring film to video.

So does anyone have a clue as to what the ratio is that would give me this. going from .999 to 1.00 seems to me to be the equation I am looking for but am not sure. Does anyone have any experience with this. I understand the comment about receiving the files this way but it's what's on my plate.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

MachFive 3 could do this with the IRCAM stuff. If you don't have it get the produce to buy it for you. Is there a sound editor or are you it?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

I got the files with the volume automation in place but the recording levels are so screwed up so a lot of fader rides. I am done and they have signed off on the mix. one last listen and then bounce
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

congrats on the sign off !
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Thank you. First one
jbyerly1

Airtight The Movie

Post by jbyerly1 »

Well I have tell tell a story here if you will let me. After getting the first sign off I bounce stereo and 5.1 masters and the learned the biggest lesson of my life. I tried to time scale the whole original project and ended up corrupting my mix. It literally put ghost tracks in about 30 mins. Got a call about two weeks later for musical changes. To make a long story shorter I reloaded all the dialog and inserted into original tracks one by one and was half way home with the eq etc. choices already in place and proceeded to re-edit everything with (and heres the point) the knowledge of "All the mistakes" I made the first time. This is my first Movie mix and was given files that should never been accepted in the first place. Who doesn't know that their machine is clipping, been a lot of WTF moments. My kudos goes out to isotope RX and especially the clipping function, simple and amazing.

My 2nd mix came out so much better and just was told they had it up in a theatre and love it. Yeah! Not sure of the where, whens, and hows but will hit one or two of the festivals and probably go to on-demand & red box

https://www.facebook.com/AirtightMovie?fref=ts