Help with VCR issue (does anybody still use them)?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
billgers
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Help with VCR issue (does anybody still use them)?

Post by billgers »

I tried firing up my VCR last night and it apparently has died :boohoo: since I last used it (with a mystery tape in it no less). I would like to get a cheapie so that I can transfer some of my old projects that I worked on to my computer, but before I do so, I want to find out if there is any reason to either repair my current model or buy something comparable. The model I have is a Mitsubishi "prosumer" model that had jog/shuttle that could stop on a frame. This was necessary in the old days for composing work (hard to imagine that I once dropped $500 on a VHS deck). My question is: has anybody been given a vhs tape in the last 5 years to work with or is everything now completely digital in terms of what is delivered to the composer? I haven't been actively working as a composer in several years, but I may fire up the rig and synapses at some point and I don't want to ditch the high-end vcr if I will ever need it again. Also, I am generally curious if anyone gets any project as anything other than a quicktime file or is quicktime the universal delivery format. Thoughts?

Also, any idea as to the best/easiest way to transfer the videos to my mac?

Thank you!

-Bill
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help with VCR issue (does anybody still use them)?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Digital video for post. QT and other formats (.dv, iCrap, etc.)

If you do get a VCR, get one that will auto-dub to a DVD so you can import that into DP or other DAW for scoring and, for that matter, to preserve the data on the VHS. Personally, I'm hanging on to my VHS library as I also have a lot of works archived there and will eventually transfer them all to DVD, but tape as a storage and even a transfer media is pretty much gone the way of 35mm stock, which is pretty much going away for good and soon.

One thing comes in, another goes out, or as my computer is fond of saying:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billgers

Post by billgers »

Thanks for the response MLC. I really appreciate the additional info about what kind of VCR capabilities to look for so as to facilitate uploading to digital. Sounds like everything has gone completely digital. It's kind of scary how much change has taken place in this business in the last 10-15 years.

Anyone else with any thoughts on this matter? Any one else seen a VHS tape in the last 5-10 years?

Thanks again to one and all.

-Bill
2018 Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB SSD
Monterey 12.6.1, DP 11.21 64 bit. Mach Five 3, Ethno 2, Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, EWQL Play, Kontakt 5 with various libraries, Absynth 5, Sampletank 3, Realstrat 3, Alchemy 1.55, Addictive Drums, lots of other goodies.

MOTU MIDI express XT, MOTU 828 Mk.3 firewire and Novation 61 SL Mk. II
martian

Post by martian »

last seen in the late nineties over here.... sony SVHS deck with TC..

I cant imagine anyone sending any one a tape anymore..... no for composing to.. must be quicktime/avi/mp4 - purely becos its quick an easy to export...
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com