Music Notation in DP 7 vs sibelius and finale

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
bell222
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Music Notation in DP 7 vs sibelius and finale

Post by bell222 »

I was wondering is the notation DP 7 has to offer as usable as sibelius and finale or is it limited? Can I add all of the music expressions and stuff like that in DP like I could in the other software packages like sibelius and finale? Thanks. I'm writing a music book which is why I would need the sheet music notation and haven't really explored much of DP's notation abilities. Thanks.
Digital Performer 7.22 | Macbook Pro i5 | Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
Kurt Cowling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Music Notation in DP 7 vs sibelius and finale

Post by Kurt Cowling »

The short answer is "no". I have laid out a book published by Hal Leonard and used Sibelius. DP is ok for knocking out lead sheets and viewing what is in your tracks, but I would never use it to lay out a book.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
bell222

Post by bell222 »

hmmm. Thanks for the headsup about that. The good thing is that I'm doing Piano Book 1 so the music is very simple and I'm really experienced at Photoshop so I could probably get away with using it for the first book until I can get some revenue from it to afford $450 for Finale. I will definitely want to purchase it. I wonder if the Print Music which is the lite version would work for what I'm using it for. That's only $100 on Musicians Friend. What do you think?
bell222

Post by bell222 »

I would only be going to level 4 in the book series so that complication of sheet music would be what most people use everyday in the real world. I saw the scaled down version of Finale called Print Music. Do you think that would suffice? I could afford that now if it would be.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Almost any dedicated notation program will do much more than DP's humble QS.
It doesn't even have slurs!

Also, doing that in photoshop sounds like a nightmare.
I would suggest waiting until you can afford a decent notation app (even MakeMusic's cheaper options), or simply hire a music copyist for this particular job.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Print music will probably be fine for a simple project. Does Make Music have a demo version? I would think they did since they have one for Finale.

If you are outputting image files, then Word can also work and probably be a bit more efficient in terms of layout.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I do use DP for notation, but end up writing things in like slurs, accents, staccato, etc.

Sibelius is better.

You might consider Muse Score as a possible alternative. It is free.

http://musescore.org
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bell222

Post by bell222 »

wow! is there a catch to it being free?
bell222

Post by bell222 »

is it an open source program and legal to use for business and making money from using it to score?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can read up on it. It is free and quite good.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

There is also Sibelius First. For many people it's all they ever need from Sibelius. It's $119 US.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
bell222

Post by bell222 »

I tried that Musecore and it's great! Made sure it was totally legal and legit and glad it was. I never compose music that way but it's great when writing a music lesson book for sure. Thanks for introducing me to that. On my budget, it was perfect!!