Video full screen between chunks

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Jera
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Video full screen between chunks

Post by Jera »

Running into an issue with DP 8. I was very excited to hear about the full screen capability of the new video engine as I use DP for live projection. The way we run our live show each song is a chunk in one large sequence, so each chunk has it's own video clip. The problem is, if you set a chunk to full screen, it doesn't stay set to that when you go back to it. Has anyone found a workaround for this or am I missing something?

Thanks
Chris
DP 8.6 / MacBook Pro 2.7ghz Core i7/8GB ram/Dell Latitude 7440 i7 16GB RAM /1TB Firewire 800/828 original/Midisport 2X2/MIDI merger
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Video full screen between chunks

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP8 doesn't stay in full screen mode between launches. I use the same movie for all chunks in a project so I have not seen your situation, but it is not surprising.

You should report this to MOTU in a techlink and/or phone call, but I wouldn't hope for too much. DP is not intended for video display in performance. If you were using it as such, you'd probably want to send the picture out of a firewire port, but as of DP 8.01 even that feature remains unimplemented, as do several other video and GUI aspects. Maybe you'll have better luck in the next update, but again, unless you ask MOTU directly, you may not see this as an actual "feature" that DP will accommodate.

Alternately, it may well be a new aspect of the video features and DP could be used as a video projection, MIDI/sample playback, and soundtrack editing, all-in-one system.

Sounds good to me!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bralston

Post by bralston »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:DP is not intended for video display in performance.
yeah....but DP drives an awful lot of live stage tours including the video components of those stage tours.

The full screen fix seems like a simple one they can make and is just probably an oversight in the new re-write of the video engine.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
KKeys

Post by KKeys »

Just wondering if there's any update to this? I was planning to using DP for the same thing… But not if it doesn't work. :)
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

bralston wrote: yeah....but DP drives an awful lot of live stage tours including the video components of those stage tours.
I suspect those tours also employ someone to take care of video as an element and that what might seem "automatic" may well be the work of a talented video technician. I actually don't have the answer there. Sorry.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tidwells@aol.com

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Jera:

Here is the workaround I use, but it's not easy. For live use, all of our songs are placed consecutively in one long chunk. Then I imported the video clip for each song into iMovie and turned them into one long clip in the same order as the audio tracks in DP. I exported the clip as a .dv file which I then imported into DP 7.24 (I use this version live because the dv out over firewire function works). If you are using DP 8.06 and the video fullscreen mode, you may want to export the video file from iMovie in a different format (I'm not sure which is best).

Set the start time of the video clip to start right with your first song. Then go in and "fine-tune" the start time of the audio and/or MIDI tracks for your second song until it is in sync with the right portion of the video clip. Do the same for each song. Then create a marker at the beginning of each song to make it easy to cue up each song in the marker window or from DP Control on your iOS device. Handy tip: once you reach this stage, go back to iMovie and mute any audio you don't want to hear in DP, then "re-export" the whole giant video clip and and import it into DP and get rid of the first clip.

Of course, each time you add a new song to your set, you have to go back to iMovie and re-edit your giant video clip. Personally, I put 5-10 seconds of black video between each song, so I have time to stop DP and then cue up the song I want next. But if you put your songs in the right order, you can go seamlessly from one to the next and you should not lose full-screen mode on the video.

I would love it if multiple video clips could be placed at different locations in the same chunk. Using only one chunk also allows me to fully automate the audio mix for our whole show "in the box". Almost all of our lighting cues are automated as MIDI data from DP which goes out to a cheap Behringer lighting controller. This is definitely not what DP was designed for, so it's a struggle and not very user-friendly!

Doug
masonrychan

Post by masonrychan »

Do you want to know what are the preferential goods this month?Paradise for game enthusiasts, hurriedly click here: Buy Archeage Gold and Fifa 15 XBOX One Coins or Fifa 15 PS4 Coins