need your VEP5 thoughts on crashing

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
brolly
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

need your VEP5 thoughts on crashing

Post by brolly »

Hi all

I'm having huge problems with VEP5 crashing constantly & i need it to work as i'm in the middle of a huge orchestral job for broadcast over christmas. We're talking 30 crashes a day.

Marnix & Karel from VSL have been fantastic but I've stopped sending them crash logs now because they're all the same & mine apparently are different to anyone elses so Karel has suggested that i look at conflicting plug ins & software etc.

Here's what happens. I open up a new Digital performer sequence. click the blue button to open up an instance of VEP5 , lets say first violins. VEP5 then loads in two instances of Kontakt5 loaded with LASS2 first violins. Often it crashes midway through the second kontakt loading. If i'm lucky enough to get that far using preserve is sure to make it crash. Sometimes i'll get as far as loading in three string banks & then it crashes.

In the background i'm running Itunes, Safari, Mail & Fetch.

I have Mountain Lion latest version.

Latest version of VEP5

Latest version of Kontakt 5

32 gigs of ram, i'm running in 64bit with DP8.01

The only plugins running in DP are 2 proverbs & a delay.

I do have a lot of busses & if anyone would like a copy of the template to have a nose i'm happy to oblige.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

brolly
bralston

Re: need your VEP5 thoughts on crashing

Post by bralston »

Very random thing to try. Are you running the Kontakt memory server with K5? If so...make sure it is turned off in Kontakt. And since you are 64-bit anyway....it should not matter. I was getting a similar crash on loading when using K5 in 64-bit plogue bidule. And once I disabled the Kontakt memory server, it went away. I am now transitioning to VEPro5 and Kontakt memory server has been off from my previous usage...and all is loading well.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
brolly

Post by brolly »

Hi Brian
yup, it's turned off.
but i'll try any ideas you've got!!
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Wow. I assume this suddenly started happening?

So have you tried loading VEP with other plugins and do you get the same result? If others load without crashing, that would point to K5 and perhaps corrupt preferences files?

Also, and this is totally random but FWIW: one time I was having the weirdest crashes of a plugin and eventually traced it to...a corrupted font. No lie. Removed it and voila! There are some utilities out here. That will check fonts for corruption I seem to recall.

Unlikely I must admit, but what the hey.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

brolly

Post by brolly »

corrupt preference files is worth a go
cheers!
i'll give it a try once my deadline is over next week.
brolly
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I use the same setup, with VEP hosting tons of LASS 2 instruments. VEP5 is running in 64 bit, but I run DP in 32 bit. Mainly because it lets me use all of my plugins (and UAD), but my DP session is mostly just MIDI and two reverbs, and some mix bus fx. It is extremely solid. So, maybe try DP in 32bit? Also, I turned off the K5 memory server. Another option is to open the LASS2 patches in stand alone mode, and check how they load. If it crashes kontakt in stand alone, it might be a bad patch. You can try using the batch resave function in Kontakt, even though I believe LASS2 is already in K5 format (maybe K4?). The only other factor I can think of is that you are on ML, and I am still on SL.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

brolly wrote:In the background i'm running Itunes, Safari, Mail & Fetch.
brolly, you won't like this suggestion - and it may well not help with your crashing - but try shutting down Itunes, Safari, Mail & Fetch, then running DP & VEP5. Those other apps are accessing your CPU(s), drives, memory and system busses at times that you can't know about (or do anything about). And they may (or may not) be causing problems with DP & VEP5 playing happily with your Mac. My old rule-of-thumb is to run absolutely nothing that's not DP-specific, when I'm using DP. Same goes for PTools, Sibelius, etc. Give your money-making apps all of the computer that they require!
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

brolly wrote:I open up a new Digital performer sequence. click the blue button to open up an instance of VEP5 , lets say first violins. VEP5 then loads in two instances of Kontakt5 loaded with LASS2 first violins. Often it crashes midway through the second kontakt loading. If i'm lucky enough to get that far using preserve is sure to make it crash. Sometimes i'll get as far as loading in three string banks & then it crashes.
Maybe you've already resolved your problem, but are you using VEP in standalone mode?
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6