I'm now using VideoSlave to host video instead of DP, why?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I'm now using VideoSlave to host video instead of DP, why?

Post by bralston »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share and amazing new program that is out that has allowed me to off load the video hosting from Digital Performer to another slave machine...and let DP focus on MIDI and audio...and not drive video. The new program is called VideoSlave and is from a German Developer. Here is the webpage for it.

http://www.non-lethal-applications.com/ ... r-vtr.html

This program really came about when film composer Charlie Clouser (From N.I.N. and of the SAW series of films) approached a German developer about the need for a simple and solid VTR program for hosting QTs that can sync to MIDI Time Code over a network. Hence, VideoSlave was born. Full disclosure...I have been one of their beta testers as well. But I get nothing for mentioning it here. I just think the developer Flo has done an amazing job here with his program making it simple and powerful. And I truly feel it is currently the best elegant solution for hosting video in Post-Production out there. And the fact that it will work alongside DP...or ProTools...or any DAW...is awesome.

Why is this a good thing?

1. By no longer hosting the video in DP on the same machine...you can save from CPU on your DAW to further squeeze out as much as you can for other plugs and VIs.
2. VideoSlave can take pretty much ANY kind of video, codec, frame rate, etc...unlike DP which tends to be best with certain codecs and can only currently output full screen video via Firewire and DVCPRO codec which is NOT Hi-Def.
3. With VideoSlave you can take an older Intel mac or Mac mini, laptop, etc...and use it to drive the video. Have DP output MTC any way you can (over a network or MIDI device)...and VideoSlave will sync in under a second. It can also run full screen with no QT controls so it looks like a genuine VTR. Run that output to your monitor or projector and your studio will have full screen video being controlled by DP...but driven by VideoSlave on its own little machine.
4. I currently use one of my Virtual Instrument MacMinis to not only host LA Scoring Strings and Storm Drum 2 libraries...but also to drive VideoSlave and it works solidly.
5. You can create playlists of QTs. When scoring a movie in multiple reels...you can load up all 5-6 QT reels in the playlist...and VideoSlave will keep them in order and instantly jump to the next reel as your DP or ProTools session advances its timecode.

Check it out for yourself. There is a demo that will run for 5 minutes at a time.

The price is only $250.

:woohoo: :headbang: :headbang:
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
stephentayler

Re: I'm now using VideoSlave to host video instead of DP, wh

Post by stephentayler »

This looks worth checking out. I've been using Virtual VTR for the last couple of years, which is very good and efficient, but it was expensive and requires a dedicated dongle... what copy protection does this use??

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
bralston

Post by bralston »

Stephen,

It is a very simple serial number with online activator (can also be done offline through their website). No dongle. It does know and tag your install to your machine's motherboard. But if it is needed to be moved for some reason, they can help you out very easily.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

Thanks!!

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hey Brian... thanks for stopping by and sharing this information!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

Thanks for sharing.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
bralston

Post by bralston »

Also...I have spoken with the developer about adding an overlay of streamers, pops and flutters and it is definitely on the list for updates. This is only the beginning for VideoSlave. :wink:
Regards,

Brian Ralston

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I wonder how DP8's new video features might make these things unnecessary?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bralston

Post by bralston »

There is still great benefit to having the video loaded outside of your DAW...not just for CPU reasons (especially since DP8 will harvest GPU to control video)...but also a VTR can have all reels loaded at once...and the time needed to change from one reel to another is instantaneous. If you play back files that span multiple reels, it will jump from one reel to the next instantly. It is also yet to be seen how DP handles different codecs...but VideoSlave will even decode specialized AVID codecsT is directly from avid sessions and will allow you to offset timecode coming in to match the one on screen if the QT is not encoded with timecode properly.

Having this setup on a separate system further streamlines DP in my opinion. Add to that future features I know is on the list to be added...and for only $250. Any post house should seriously consider it...and smaller project studios will benefit as well.

When DP8 comes out..I will have to test it against VideoSlave to see how it does.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

rpmusic

Post by rpmusic »

bralston

Any chance of explaining your set up to the MacMini - how that is synced to DP, etc.

Would really appreciate it!

Thx
Rob Pottorf Music, Inc.
rp@rpmusic.com
http://www.rpmusic.com
bralston

Post by bralston »

rpmusic wrote:bralston

Any chance of explaining your set up to the MacMini - how that is synced to DP, etc.

Would really appreciate it!

Thx
Sure Rob. It is really simple. On the MacPro I have a built in OSX network MIDI port set up that will port over to the MacMini on the same network. In DP, you can set in the sync preferences to output MIDI timecode via that network MIDI port. On MacMini, select the same network MIDI port in VideoSlave to sync to MIDI timecode on that same network port. All of this can also be done via MusicLab's MIDI-over-LAN or even a hardware MIDI In/Out solution.

VideoSlave syncs in less than a second to that MIDI timecode and it is all done.

On the same MacMini I also run other Vritual instruments hosted in Plogue Bidule (with their MIDI channels coming in via other network MIDI ports) and it all just chugs along handling it all.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

flutemaker

Post by flutemaker »

+1 on Video Slave..
Works flawlessly wirelessly. Leaves a huge performance boost on the DAW.

Thanks for the tip..
MacBook Pro (2011) 2.3 GHz quad i7, 16G ram, all drives Solid State
latest mac OS
Neve 511 (2), Lynx Hilo A/D D/A,
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Brian, how do you (or *can* you) do "Bounce to QT Movie" with this setup?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
dix

Post by dix »

williemyers wrote:Brian, how do you (or *can* you) do "Bounce to QT Movie" with this setup?
Right. And what about video-scrubbing, importing audio and streamers? These are all indispensable for me now. I used to run Virtual VTR back when I had a G5, but haven't felt the need to bother since I got my 8-core a few years ago. That is until DP8 showed up and broke video! …i'm back in solid ol' 7.24 until i or motu can figure out what's up. i can see that VideoSlave'd make sense for some, but there's nothing in dp8 that i wouldn't forgo to keep the advantages of keeping video on-board.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
PJ

Post by PJ »

Even though DP8 runs fine with my new setup, I'm also interested this VideoSlave. Like dix I also like to know how video-scrubbing works with VideoSlave? It's quite important feature for me.
PTHDN(TB)/OMNI / DP8 ** Post Production **