Can't import XML from Final Cut Pro X.. Please help!

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't import XML from Final Cut Pro X.. Please help!

Post by Killahurts »

It's not happening. When I export the XML from FCP X and then try (on a different machine) to import into DP 7.24, the file is greyed-out and won't import. I can't even select it to try..

I'm wondering if FCP uses a newer version of XML that DP has not caught up to yet? If so, is there a little app that could convert? I have the newest version of FCP X, which brought back XML exporting.

I've done extensive searching an cannot come up with an answer about this.

Anyone?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Re: Can't import XML from Final Cut Pro X.. Please help!

Post by Killahurts »

UPDATE:

Apple completely rewrote the XML code for FCP X, isn't that just special?

So it is not possible to import XML from FCP X into DP. I confirmed with Magic Dave at MOTU, that it was indeed broken. He did not know if the problem would be resolved in the DP8 release or not, but my guess is, probably not.. at least in the initial release. They'll have to rewrite the whole thing. From what I understand, it's like a completely different language.

Apple is becoming the poster child for "Fix it.. it ain't broke."

FCP X is a POS. I'm going back to 7 for now, until I can figure out a new video editor to use.. :shake:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HarmonicMotion

Post by HarmonicMotion »

I'm no video editor, but the people at production companies I've done music for just informed me that they are switching to Adobe Premiere Pro. Apparently the new FCP has taken away a ton of much needed features.

Apple is starting to become what Digidesign used to be.

Good luck,

HM
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I use adobe and FCP and FCPx, Yes I feel FCPx is iMovie buffed up. I am working more with Premiere now a days. FCP was a good program and easy to use plus you could adjust about any thing.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I know this is a VERY old topic. I've just begun doing some research. What's the solution for getting the audio from FCPX projects into DP?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Got a email from a friend who suggested this:
The easiest way is make sure your audio dialog is assigned the role label: dialogue (which is pretty much default). Select “Share” and select “Master File”. When the dialog window opens, select the Settings tab and then under the format pull down select “Audio Only”, select your favorite format but the key is to select the “Roles As” pull down and select “Audio Only as Separate Files”. That will display all the roles labeled in the project (edit). Select your desired channel config and hit next.. (You don’t have to print all of the role-labeled tracks, you can remove the ones you don’t want with the ‘-“ button).
It will output the audio locked to the cut. You can then take it into DP and work with it there.
There's also an app called Project Xto7 that will convert a Final Cut Pro X XML file an older Final Cut Pro 7 XML file, which can then be loaded into DP:

https://s29039.gridserver.com/Intellige ... /catalog/2

It's $49.99. I have not tried it yet.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!