Deleting Quicktime audio track

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Shogun Assassin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Deleting Quicktime audio track

Post by Shogun Assassin »

I have a quicktime .mov, and I have to get rid of the original audio that came with the .mov.

I know i can turn it down so that i do not hear it, but is there a way to completely get rid of the original audio track in DP? or is that something that has to be done within QT itself?

Thanks.
"Its . . .!" -Monty Python
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Deleting Quicktime audio track

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

QT or some other MOVIE EDITING PROGRAM.

If pushed to the wall, you could mute all the sound and bounce the movie to disk from DP and then use the resulting movie. That would, for all intents and purposes, remove the audio, although I suspect you'd have a silent track as opposed to no track at all.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shogun Assassin

thanks MIDI.
i ended up just muting the whole thing through DP.
The strange thing is when i tell DP to "copy movie audio to sequence," it copies the audio, but the file's waveform in the sequence editor shows nothing there. just a track that is blank.this happens even when the audio in un-muted.
so the audio can be heard, but the sequence editor just gives me a blank track. this isn't a problem since i didn't want the original audio anyway, but it could be a problem in the future. any ideas?
MIDI Life Crisis

The waveform display 'size adjust' may be set too low to see the waveform. That's the little magnifying glass icon to the left of the waveform display. Your mouse wheel will work to make it larger or smaller or you can click on it to adjust the size. Of course, that has no impact on that actual audio level of the wave, but it is helpful to see what's going on.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I'd definitely do it before importing the QT into DP. You need QT Pro for this (you should have it anyway). Open the file in QT Pro, uncheck the soundtrack file in the properties window, do a Save As (without the soundtrack) and you're done.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shogun Assassin

i tried the waveform adjust to it's maximum, and i still have the blank track. i checked the I/O and everything is routed properly. i can't figure it out. gonna try it with a different movie and see what happens.

(thanks for the QT help FMiguelez)
bdr

Post by bdr »

BTW a great free alternative to QT pro is MPEG-Streamclip.
Mac 2.8 8-core, 20 GB RAM, Mac 10.9, DP 8, EWQLSO Platinum Play, Mach V II, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer, AIR, Absynth 5, Plectrum, CronoX, Albino3, RMV, cup of tea.
Shogun Assassin

i'm still getting a blank track when copying movie audio to sequence.
i tried it with a brand new empty project, imported a .mov, and clicked on the "copy movie audio to sequence."
i get a blank audio track, but i can hear the .mov audio when playback is started.
i then copied the movie audio to sequence again. same thing. another blank track, but the audio can be heard.
MIDI Life Crisis

Can you send post a snippet?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shogun Assassin

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Can you send post a snippet?
i think that has to do with code or something, but i'll be completely honest: what?
MIDI Life Crisis

No code. Can you post a sample of the movie in question? Even a few seconds?Anywhere we can pop it into DP and see what you;re sayin?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shogun Assassin

actually this happens with any movie i import, not just the one.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

But I don't get it...

First you wrote you wanted to get rid of the audio in the QT movie. But now you want to listen to it when you import it into DP?

If you play the QT alone (in the QT app), do you hear the track?
Is the only problem getting DP to extract the audio from the movie successfully?

I am confused if you do want the audio track or not (and for what purpose). Also, what version of DP are you using?

Also, what format is the audio in the QT movie?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shogun Assassin

FMiguelez wrote:But I don't get it...
I am confused if you do want the audio track or not (and for what purpose). Also, what version of DP are you using?
i still don't want the quicktime audio from the .mov

BUT the fact that i import it and can't see it bothers me enough to try to figure out why i can't see it, because in the future i'll probably have .mov files where i want to keep the audio.

i'm using DP.724

if i play the QT through QT yes i hear the audio.

"Is the only problem getting DP to extract the audio from the movie successfully?"
DP7 extracts it from the QT and i can hear it through DP7, but it shows up as a stereo track that is completely blank no matter how close i zoom in.

could this have something to do with my bundles? for some reason i still have to switch to my proper I/Os every time i open a new project no matter how many times i delete the unwanted stuff.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ok. I understand perfectly now.

So the real problem seems to be a graphics/GUI problem then... you can hear it but can't see it.

I would trash the preferences at this point (just the .plist file).