Quicktime crash when moving to 2nd monitor

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
braincloud
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Quicktime crash when moving to 2nd monitor

Post by braincloud »

I just recently started having this problem again. It hasn't reared its ugly head in quite some time. I'm using DP 7.22 and have 3 monitors on 2 dual DVI cards. IT doesn't matter which monitor I try and drag the movie to, it crashes as soon as it is fully into the new monitor.

Tried converting the movie to another format, and switching the monitors to different ports on the card without any luck.

Thanks for the workaround tip. Have you heard of this bug being addressed anytime, and what the possible cause is?
agentry1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by agentry1 »

braincloud wrote:I just recently started having this problem again. It hasn't reared its ugly head in quite some time. I'm using DP 7.22 and have 3 monitors on 2 dual DVI cards. IT doesn't matter which monitor I try and drag the movie to, it crashes as soon as it is fully into the new monitor.

Tried converting the movie to another format, and switching the monitors to different ports on the card without any luck.

Thanks for the workaround tip. Have you heard of this bug being addressed anytime, and what the possible cause is?
Hey, I'm running the exact same setup as you and have the same problem. I called tech support and the guy said he had never heard of the issue before. I tried a few things but eventually I got it to work by exporting the .mov file using QuickTime Pro as a QuickTime movie using MPEG-4 compression. Give it a shot.
Hiccup
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Hiccup »

bralston wrote:Yes...this is a verified bug.

It is because DP does not want to see anything other than DVCPRO codec. Putting the movie window on a secondary monitor will cause this to happen. You are probably using H.264 or another MPEG4 codec, right?

Use QukckTime Pro to re-export the video to standard DVCPRO codec and then use that version in DP and it will not crash when moving to the second monitor.

I wish this bug were fixed too, but since this is DP version 4 we are talking about...it won't be.

Not sure if this still exists in DP6 or not.

This issue reared it's ugly head for me suddenly within the past month in DP 7.24. Tried both the MP4 recompression and converting it to DVCPRO with MPEG-Streamclip. The mp4 still crashed, but the DVCPRO (as described above) has worked like a charm so far.

I wish I knew why it only just started happening. I also started getting a phantom second instance of DP launching whenever I open it around the same time. Funny ol' world eh?

Anyhow. Go with the DVCPRO. Seems to still be DP's 'happy' format.
Cheers,

Hiccup