Quicktime crash when moving to 2nd monitor

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
bravenew
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Quicktime crash when moving to 2nd monitor

Post by bravenew »

Hi,

I have not used DP for a while and am trying to score a video in 4.61. It works well except when I try to move the movie to my 2nd monitor, it crashes DP. I have tried multiple workarounds, using different drives for the video, ect, but no luck. After a search, I found others have had this problem in DP6, but have not posted an answer. I think it might be a QT problem more than MOTU because it seems to span several DP generations.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on here?

many thanks!

mc
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Quicktime crash when moving to 2nd monitor

Post by bralston »

Yes...this is a verified bug.

It is because DP does not want to see anything other than DVCPRO codec. Putting the movie window on a secondary monitor will cause this to happen. You are probably using H.264 or another MPEG4 codec, right?

Use QukckTime Pro to re-export the video to standard DVCPRO codec and then use that version in DP and it will not crash when moving to the second monitor.

I wish this bug were fixed too, but since this is DP version 4 we are talking about...it won't be.

Not sure if this still exists in DP6 or not.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
bravenew

Post by bravenew »

Wow, thank you Brian!
I really appreciate the information.

best,
Mark
martian

Post by martian »

bralston wrote:Yes...this is a verified bug.

It is because DP does not want to see anything other than DVCPRO codec. Putting the movie window on a secondary monitor will cause this to happen. You are probably using H.264 or another MPEG4 codec, right?

Use QukckTime Pro to re-export the video to standard DVCPRO codec and then use that version in DP and it will not crash when moving to the second monitor.

I wish this bug were fixed too, but since this is DP version 4 we are talking about...it won't be.

hi brian

interesting - as I have had a long on off flirtation with crashing on save - where did you get this info from?

I mainly use DV PAL codec - why DVC pro?

thanks

martin
macpro 3 gig - 5 Gig RAM 10.6.3 Motu 2408 mk 2 Mackie HUI DP 7.21 intel imac 3 gig ram traveller OS 10.6.3

http://www.fork-media.com
bralston

Post by bralston »

martian wrote: hi brian

interesting - as I have had a long on off flirtation with crashing on save - where did you get this info from?

I mainly use DV PAL codec - why DVC pro?

thanks

martin
Basically a long period of contemplation, followed by experimentation.

If one wants to output video in DP from the MAC computer onto a video monitor / TV, they have to use DVCPRO codec. The standard DV codec that is on all DV tapes, etc...This is an OSX requirement I believe to natively output video via firewire. So...since this is the only codec that DP supports for firewire output...I used this fact as a starting point and began exploring the changing of codecs when putting the DP movie window on a secondary monitor. I tried a variety of codecs and the only one that would not crash when putting the window on a secondary monitor was standard DV...otherwise known as DVCPRO. It makes sense. It is a standard used in post production all the time. It is an OSX native supported format. Sure people like to use other codecs to make the file size smaller, cinepak, MPEG4, H.264, etc...but at the end of the day, the CPU hit on decompressing DVCPRO is the least. File size is large...but quality is high. And, DP will not crash when using it on a second computer monitor. So...for that and many other reason, DVCPRO is the codec of choice for me and that is the story of that.

:)
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

Thanks a lot for the info there.
I´ll export some videos to DVCPRO and check for the hit on CPU. :D
This IS still happening in DP6. I´m using the video window with windowsets to avoid crash.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
mcartsonis

Post by mcartsonis »

bralston wrote:Yes...this is a verified bug.

Sorry to confirm that yes, it does...

Maybe 7?

MC
bralston

Post by bralston »

It seems to be fixed in DP7 which I just upgraded to. :wink:
Regards,

Brian Ralston

zaratero

Post by zaratero »

Bralston,
Your advice about using DVCPRO exclusively has been greatly apreciated here.
Video scrolls smoother with less hit on the CPU since I ask for this, and for most of the TV work I do, it means working with their original format, so less work for editors (which they appreciate as well) ...well....Thanks. :D
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BraveNew:
I used DP4.61 until very recently, and I NEVER had your crashing problem. Not once in almost 5 years.

I have 2 big monitors, and I always placed the QT movie in different places (through Window sets), some times manually, and it never crashed because of this.

I used almost all available codecs at various times, and never a problem here. It was run on Panther. What OS are you using?

I wonder what's going on? :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

I've never had a crash displaying the movie window on either monitor with any codec in v6.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
MartinL

Post by MartinL »

Sadly, this bug still exists in DP 7.21. :(
shaman

Post by shaman »

If you are using Perian, try deactivating it.
OS Mavericks (10.9.5)
Protools HD Native 11. Logic Pro 9. Digital Performer 8.
Waves 9 Mercury Bundle. iZotope RX 3 Advanced.
Avid HD OMNI. Apogee Ensemble.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MartinL wrote:Sadly, this bug still exists in DP 7.21. :(
It works fine here. Even with Perian.
What I have noticed, though, is that the QT window sometimes stops floating and gets sent to the back, for no apparent reason.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Marc Mitchell

Post by Marc Mitchell »

yeah same here, had the problem for years, but i did find a work around....
if the movie is (for example) on the right screen, select 'double size', then drag the movie so its about 40% on to the left screen, then select 'half size', the movie makes it to the left screen without crashing DP & is usable from there on in... hope that helps, its always worked for me.

Regards in music
Live in life

MM
http://www.marcmitchell.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;