ISO EZ, DP-syncable external video player

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ISO EZ, DP-syncable external video player

Post by dix »

I'm working on a rather involved multimedia project and have the need to work to two videos simultaneously, so I'm looking for an external video player that will recognize and sync to DP. Is there a simple, inexpensive solution out there? - I used to be able to do this by syncing DP running on my laptop via MIDI with two MIDI I/Os, but I no longer have any MIDI I/Os.

Any idea about a video player that can handle this? ...or any other ideas about how to accomplish syncing two videos to DP, either on one computer or on a slave.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
sndmarks

Re: ISO EZ, DP-syncable external video player

Post by sndmarks »

Option 1: install DP on computer #2 to run video
Option 2: VideoSlave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
leigh

Post by leigh »

I don't know if this will work but it might be worth checking out:

http://vidplayvst.com/index.htm

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
dix

Post by dix »

sndmarks wrote:Option 1: install DP on computer #2 to run video
Option 2: VideoSlave
1: As I mentioned, I don't have two USB to MIDI I/Os. I'm unaware of any way to sync two computers via just USB. Is there a way? 2:VideoSlave is $18 a month. Don't think I want to get involved with yet another subscription

DP doesn't even recognize VidPlayvst. It's a mighty old app, but thank you Leigh.

BUT D'oh! I'm guessing I could just sync to ProTools and have it run the movie. I can't seem to get DP and PT to see each other at the moment, but surely there's a way.

[EDIT]I figured it out. Yep, syncing to PT is the ticket. I was overthinking the problem as usual!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I know this is sort of a crappy workaround, so I throw it out there with great trepidation, but if you have FCP or another video editing program, it would be possible just for the sake of getting the job done to edit/create a new video with the two videos running in sync side by side in two windows, then work with that video in DP's movie window.

I know it's an intermediary step, and PITA, but could work in theory.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's how I'd probably do it as well, JS. But if the video needs to be separated during performances then he still needs a solution. I wjust need if IAC could be used to slave a second version of DP running on the same machine? All he'd need to do is copy (opt drag) the DP app and launch the second version and slave it with the 2nd video running on the copy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

it would be possible just for the sake of getting the job done to edit/create a new video with the two videos running in sync side by side in two windows, then work with that video in DP's movie window.
The video I'm working to already has four videos running simultaneously, compiled just as you described, but I need another and we can't cram in any more.

Syncing to PT like I describe above seems like it should work...or yes, to a copy of DP.

Thanks for the help!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That's how I'd probably do it as well, JS. But if the video needs to be separated during performances then he still needs a solution.
Right. I was thinking that the main deliverable was just the music and the AV/production company for the event, etc. would worry about that. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
VidPlayVST
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by VidPlayVST »

Sorry, I think there may be some confusion here...
"DP doesn't even recognize VidPlayvst. It's a mighty old app"
Possibly you are referring to some other plugin? (32-bit so 64-bit DP does not recognise it?)

VidPlayVST was released in March 2017 and is available as a 64-bit Instrument plugin, both VST and AU. It certainly works with DP in Windows, but I have not had the opportunity to test it with DP on Mac (my MacBook recently died on me!)
dix

Post by dix »

Sorry VidPlayVST. DP doesn't scan the 64bit AU or VST plugins on launch, so it's not available. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how to install it. I'll give it another go when I get a chance. - It's been so long since I'd seen an app even mention 32bit compatibility that I assumed it was years old. My mistake. Apologies!
leigh

Post by leigh »

dix wrote:Sorry VidPlayVST. DP doesn't scan the 64bit AU or VST plugins on launch, so it's not available. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how to install it. I'll give it another go when I get a chance. - It's been so long since I'd seen an app even mention 32bit compatibility that I assumed it was years old. My mistake. Apologies!
I just tried the demo and it loaded fine.

I installed it here:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/VidPlayVST64.vst

In DP I went to Preferences>Audio Plug-Ins and entered VidPlay in the search field to bring it up. I enabled it and after DP restarted the MAS, there it was.

I instantiated it in an instrument track, loaded magicd's LaserCats.mov and Bob (or magicd?) was my uncle.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
dix

Post by dix »

Oh, hey VidPlayVST does work! For some reason DP didn't examine it automatically, but if I go into prefs and reexamine it shows up normally as a virtual instrument.

I've only messed with it for a short time, but it seems like exactly what I need. Apologies again to VidPlayVST for doubting it worked! And thank you for your amazingly rapid response to a random post on a forum you were not even a member of!
MIDI Life Crisis

VidPlayVST wrote:Sorry, I think there may be some confusion here...
"DP doesn't even recognize VidPlayvst. It's a mighty old app"
Possibly you are referring to some other plugin? (32-bit so 64-bit DP does not recognise it?)

VidPlayVST was released in March 2017 and is available as a 64-bit Instrument plugin, both VST and AU. It certainly works with DP in Windows, but I have not had the opportunity to test it with DP on Mac (my MacBook recently died on me!)
I see your site mentions audio workstations, but I’m wondering if the plugin could be made to work with Finale. Specifically version 25 and later. MakeMusic removed the movie window and the workaround is extremely convoluted and doesn’t work well.

Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

I'd try the demo MLC. The player instantiates as a virtual instrument - you open videos from the plugin once it's launched. I would think it would work with any app that uses VIs.
MIDI Life Crisis

dix wrote:I'd try the demo MLC. The player instantiates as a virtual instrument - you open videos from the plugin once it's launched. I would think it would work with any app that uses VIs.
Oh duh! Thanks. Why didn't I think of that?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS