Remapping Tempos

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
7Think8Thought9
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Remapping Tempos

Post by 7Think8Thought9 »

Hey there internet,

So I'm pretty new to DP (started using it in January so lets say 3-4 months with it) so I'm pretty fresh to this whole world. Basically I'm working on a short movie right now; I just sent the director the first draft and he likes almost all the cues I've composed for him. However there is one scene that he isn't crazy fond of.

I'm really wondering how you guys would go about restructuring a cue tempo wise, in this example I've got MX IN at 01:00:00:00, then about 2 minutes in theres a scene I want to change. I might need to change the tempo to highlight a certain sync point, but I've got music at like 01:05:04:13 that we want to keep the exact same.

So how would you more efficient people go about this? :D
stubbsonic

Re: Remapping Tempos

Post by stubbsonic »

removed
Last edited by stubbsonic on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well, you could sync your chunks in SONG mode. More experienced DP users scoring and designing sound to picture would neverdo that. Someone will chime almost certainly chime in telling us how great SOMG MODE is, and it is) but there is a much better way. Song mode is intended for... well... SONGS, not extended scores that have to sync to pictures, with greatly varying instrumentation, frame accurate SFX and dialogue, different mixer settings, plugins, yadda yadda yadda...

The best way to accomplish that is to have each cue as a separate CHUNK (as noted above) and then create a MASTER SEQUENCE (or master CHUNK if you will - even if you won't). Then as you complete each cue, bounce it to an audio file and place it in the master sequence. This will also give you the option of crossfading cues (as audio files or SOUNDBITES) which is NOT possible in song mode. It also allows you to add SFX and dialogue (if you do that kind of work in addition to music).

Make sure your frame rate matches the rate the editor is using or you won't be referencing the same SMPTE times.

mm
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
7Think8Thought9

Post by 7Think8Thought9 »

These are both great suggestions, I really like the idea of using creating a MASTER chunk. Either way I need to dive deeper into the functions in chunks and really explore how helpful those can be but I think for now your advice MIDI Life Crisis is too duplicate my main chunk sequence then stripe the audio from both and then import the audio, lets say to Protools as I prefer to mix there?

Thanks for the suggestions, if others have more, keep 'em comin'!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You could do that if you're more comfortable with PT, but DP can certainly handle any post production needs. There is a learning curve, but it's not too steep and once you get it, it all makes sense. Sort of... but I'm still flummoxed over why they called them CHUNKS instead of just SEQUENCES. In fact, if you go to the CHUNKS window, the drop down has an option to CREATE A NEW SEQUENCE (or something like that) and that command CREATES A FRIGGIN' CHUNK!!!!

KO, I'm done. No wait...!

Nah, I'm done.

mm
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS