PDF User Manual for Mach Five?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

nottingham
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

PDF User Manual for Mach Five?

Post by nottingham »

Hello,

I recently purchased Mach Five from a seller on Ebay, included are the two original disks (Mach Five installer cdrom and Mach Five Sound Banks DVD), and the iLok. The seller is transfering the iLok registration to me. The seller didn't include the original hard copy manual, is there a pdf version? I have explored the installed "Mach Five Files" folder as well as the installer cdrom and DVD soundbank and have not located a user's manual. Am I missing an additional cdrom with the pdf manual on it?

Many thanks, looking forward to exploring Mach Five!

Nottingham
sdfalk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by sdfalk »

Very little (if any) of there software has pdf files.
A 2018 Mac mini with 16 gb of ram
HUGE bunch o' AU instruments/fx...
A Metric Halo ULN8-3D…mmmmmmm
Remember to eat all your fruits and vegetables!
My OS is The amazingly gratuitous 10.14
nottingham

Thanks, just found out manual is hard copy only

Post by nottingham »

I just heard back (rather quickly I might add) from Adam at MOTU. Only the hard copy manual is available. I'll have to buy it from MOTU once the registration for my Mach Five is transferred from the seller to my iLOK account. Seems a little strange to only include a paper manual, most companies opt for a "quick start" booklet and direct you to the online manual on the install disk(s) or as a downloadable file.

I am brand new to Mach Five and this is my first MOTU product, looking forward to exploring it. If anyone knows of any good instructional sites or DVDs, please advise.

Thank you,

Nottingham

Reason 3.0.4
Ableton Live 4.1.4
Sonik Synth 2
MOTU Mach 5
E-MU Proteus X (with TSCY X, Beat Garden X, MoPhatt X, Planet Earth X)
M-Audio Ozonic
M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
billf

Post by billf »

One of the hazards of eBay is getting manuals with gear that you buy.

I really prefer hard copy manuals over PDF's. I hate the fact that I have to buy extra books for something like Logic because the "manual" is a skimpy little brochure.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
nottingham

BillF

Post by nottingham »

I had and then sold Logic Audio 5, the manual was in several volumes and quite extensive (thick). It included a speical custom 3 ring binder, and a couple of wire bound quick start manuals. Have they changed this now with Logic 6 and 7?

I bought the Mach Five software knowing I wasn't getting a hardcopy manual, figuring it would be available in at least pdf format for me to print or review, or at the very least downloadable from MOTU. It is strange that MOTU doesn't include the electronic version. I will be buying the manual from MOTU as soon as registration is transferred (a whole different series of hoops to jump through). I just went throught the iLok transfer process, and the cost was $25 to transfer registration from the previous owner to me with the included iLok, but this was only for the iLok license. I still have to have have the previous owner contact MOTU to inform them of the change of registration. They are next to impossible to reach by phone, as MOTU has NO HOLD QUE? You simply get a busy signal and keep trying back until you get an answer. They have been very good about getting back via email, however, and I was told when I did get through to sales that fax contact is the quickest.
Reason 3.0.4/ Ableton Live 4.1.4/ Sonik Synth 2
MOTU Mach 5 /E-MU Proteus X (with TSCY X, Beat Garden X, MoPhatt X, Planet Earth X)
M-Audio Ozonic/M-Audio Keystation Pro 88/
Korg TR-61/Line 6 PODxt
qo

Re: PDF User Manual for Mach Five?

Post by qo »

nottingham wrote:I recently purchased Mach Five from a seller on Ebay
Hi Nottingham,

I know there are be exceptional deals on eBay and so my philosophy isn't always the best one and, I know you didn't ask, but here goes anyway :-) I don't buy used software, period. I look at it from the perspective of how much my time is worth. Now, maybe, when buying software online one won't spent much time dealing with the seller, or much time calling/writing/faxing the vendor, or much $$ on long-distance calls to the vendor, or much $$ on things like a manual and shipping, or 3rd party books, or various 3rd party appendages like iLok. But, it's a straight-forward calculation to determine if the amount one saves buying online is greater than the total overhead involved in purchasing used software. I've done the calculation a couple times, and it's never worked out in my favor since the amount of time spent is usually at least equal to the cost of new software (though, one could ask me how much time it took to write this post I guess :wink: ). Maybe I'm just unlucky and have never gotten a killer deal. Too, I always (rightly or wrongly) feel that I'll become a second-class citizen in the eyes of the vendor and that I really won't be a true registration-card-holding customer.

In the same vein, I never sell software. Rather, I consider it ephemeral, and stuff it in a closet when it's outlived its usefulness. Still have the floppies for Galaxy, etc. Maybe they'll become vintage after 20 years or so, lol.
nottingham

QO

Post by nottingham »

I have done both with nothing but great success. I only buy software used if the buyer cleary is giving the fully registerable version that is legit. I never will deal with anyone who sells a copy or counterfeit product.

For me, this deal still is a very good one. Here's the math: total cost was $160 for the software and shipping, no net cost on the iLok transfer, as the buyer refunded the $25, no long distance charges (most of my correspondance has been via email, and my long distance calls are free through my plan). I am buying Mach Five as a casual purchase to augment my studio and explore it, so I can wait on the manual and the seller is working to transfer registration with MOTU. So my net cost is only $185 for the Mach Five, compared to $369 at Sweetwater. I normally only buy if the seller says (fully registerable, or makes indication that he/she will provide all necessary transfer info). This seller has excellent and high feedback, so I know he would work to make the sale complete.

This seller didn't provide all that is necessary to register the product when he shipped it, but he is working it out. It is totally worth it to me, as I am basically buying this to check it out. It just so happens that MOTU has utilized a rather complex transfer process, but it is workable, and I kind of enjoyed the iLok transfer process once I understood what needed to be done (I had to log in as the seller and transfer the license to me, then delete the iLok from his account so it became free for me to associate with my account).

Don't get me wrong, I hear you loud and clear. I buy most of my studio software new from the likes of Sweetwater, Audiomide, and Guitar Center(Reason 1 then upgraded to 2, 2.5 and 3, Ableton Live 4, Proteus X and expansion, Logic. I bought Sonik Synth recently on Ebay as a new and unregistered product- had no problems at all and saved about $100 as the seller included a Sonik Reality Capsule I wanted at no charge.

Your assumption that you won't be registered is not true if you buy a fully registerable or transferable product, that's the key. It is perfectly legal and proper to sell your used software, as long as you sell the registration transfer according to the companies policy. That's what your really buying if you are buying legit, the registration rights to become a bonified user in the eyes of the company who produces your product.

Anyways I'm looking for a killer deal on some old Galaxy floppies if you know of anyone who would be willing to transfer registration :wink:
MOTU Mach 5 /E-MU Proteus X (with TSCY X, Beat Garden X, MoPhatt X, Planet Earth X)
Korg TR-61/Line 6 PODxt
nottingham

Issue resolved by the good folks at MOTU

Post by nottingham »

I am happy to say that the good folks at MOTU resolved my manual and serial number fiasco. I paid for a new manual and serial number ($28 and change-the seller is splitting the costs with me on this). Once I have the new hard copy manual and serial number, I will be able to register the software anew in my name. Efforts to contact the original owner to transfer registration were unsuccessful.

I will now also be able to upgrade to version 2, which we are all curious to see I'm sure.

Just wanted to say I am very impressed with MOTU customer support and how they worked with me to resolve this. The seller thought the iLok registration transfer was all that was needed to transfer complete ownership. So don't lose or misplace that serial number in the original hard copy manual.

Nottingham
Korg TR-61/Line 6 PODxt
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

Last time I spoke to MOTU, they said they were in fact working on a PDF manual for MachFive 3. I need one because my poor eyes can't read the tiny font in the hard copy. I haven't seen anything materialise yet, but I hope it happens.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
Basstrup

Post by Basstrup »

Get the Mach Five tutorial from groove3.com - better than the manual IMO - also there are plenty on YouTube.
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6