Telematic and similar sample sets

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

menright
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Telematic and similar sample sets

Post by menright »

Anyone know where to find more tutorials or print documentation on using the Telematic sample set? I think this is a marvelous-sounding instrument but I keep running into dead ends trying to figure how to get it to do things. I feel like I was sick the day they covered key-switched samples in class. I've gone through all the clips I can find through MOTU and UVI on YouTube but I just need more information on how this and similar sample sets work. Any resources out there that I've missed? Thanks for any help!
MacBook Pro 17' 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB, DP9.1, MachFive3, Ethno2, Synthmaster, Waves, UVI, Ableton Live
dgtheriault

Re: Telematic and similar sample sets

Post by dgtheriault »

Hi Menright,
sorry for late reply but I'm just started looking around for some help as well, coming up to the same problems it seems you've hit - lack of documentation and tutorials.
Answer to your question: Groove3 does a tutorial on MachFive with two video episodes on Telematic. It is ok if what you are looking for is a short tutorial on what the various script items (playmode, chord parameters, options) mean. A minor quibble about the Groove3 one is that the tutorial host is not a guitarist so no advanced playing tips come to light.
I suspect you are (like me) trying to figure out how to control it? For example, how to send it a MIDI message so that the playmode changes from one to the next on playback. For example, I've set 'MIDI Control' on the Playmode to be CC#6 and then entered some CC6 events on a track. No luck, doesn't change the mode. Still working on it.
If you've got other questions or tips, please share them here.
regards,
David
iMac 4xi7 Core, 16Gb, 10.14
MacBook Pro 2.6Ghz i7, 8GB, 10.13
MOTU 828x, MIDI Express XT, Yamaha C5, Novation Impulse
DP10.01
FMiguelez

Re: Telematic and similar sample sets

Post by FMiguelez »

Groove3 has a video tutorial on MachFive 3, and the tutor goes through each instrument, and covers Telematic in detail (for what it can do).

Two chapters are devoted to Telematic. Check out the ToC:

https://www.groove3.com/motu-training-v ... -explained

[EDIT]
I hadn't seen dgtheriault's response. He suggested the same thing, so there you go.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman