Transfer part names from M5 to tracks in DP?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

jrhans
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Transfer part names from M5 to tracks in DP?

Post by jrhans »

Sorry if this is a dumb question:
Is there any way to automatically have my "patch" or part names from a MachFive multi show up on my DP tracks? Have M5 set up as a V-rack, and a DP MIDI track assigned to each of the 16 outputs. Must I physically rename each track or is there some way to have the separate instruments (parts) show up in DP (for example, in "patches" or something if not in the track names). I've both researched and attempted this a hundred times, and always end up doing it manually.

Just seems there should be a way...

Thanks for any help!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Transfer part names from M5 to tracks in DP?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That would be great but not possible. Auto patch names are provided from a list of patch names provided by the synth companies and are tied to the Audio/MIDI app (Apple). There are ways to create!modify banks with patch names using an app called CherryPicker but it would be more trouble than it's worth trying to create that for Mach5. For one, no existing patch name file exists for M5. More importantly, if you decide to use a different patch at the location (in Mach5) the pre-programmed patch name would appear and only be editable via CherryPicker or some other app.

If you're always using the same set of patched, I'd set up a template. You could also save banks of M5 instruments to recall as a group.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You might be thinking of the way Logic names tracks. Lots of options, one of which is to mirror the channel strip name. It would be great if DP adopted some variation on this function, but the way Logic does can get very convoluted. Simply being able to display a channel strip name in the track header might be a useful approach.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jrhans

Post by jrhans »

Thanks for the feedback.
I was afraid that was just the case. You would think that, both being products of the same manufacturer, that MOTU would have some slick way to do this. But I guess when I have dozens of instruments playing out of my keys with every conceivable parameter controllable and editable at my fingertips — there's not much to complain about. :-)
frankf

Post by frankf »

If you will be using this Mach5/track configuration again, consider creating a template.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB