Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 voucher!

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 vouc

Post by Michael Canavan »

Steve Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: The main reason to have a sampler embedded is simple, it allows DP to save your samples with a Project in one fell swoop. As it stands if you want M53, Kontakt, Battery or any other sampler to save sounds within a Project to archive it you have to save the samples into the Project within the plugin.
I guess you mean like Logic allows you to save copies of the EXS24 samples used in a project along with the project folder or package. But just saving the project saves enough info for the sampler to load the samples used in the project, and saved inserts handle any edited instruments, so I don't understand what is gained from saving copies of the actual samples too. It makes the project portable, but doesn't the recipient of the project still have to have licensed copies of all the samples used anyway?
I thought he meant for future archival purposes or remasters, but maybe you're right. Although, I've never not just sent audio stems only. Nobody has the exact same sample libraries and plugins.
^^ the dreaded triple quote!
We're talking about unique libraries here, I only save samples within a project when I've created them myself or seriously tweaked something, otherwise Kontakt and the rest tend to forget where they are over the years. :x
When I was using Logic I converted a bunch of EMU samples over. To make a project load after changing computers I always found it easier to have unique samples loaded into the project folder, and the EXS24 was much easier to remember to save samples to the project to than Kontakt etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:^^ the dreaded triple quote!
You won the triple quote crown! Congrats! And I just spent five minutes holding the delete key on my iPhone. :unicorn:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

OK, I see where you would want to send someone custom samples. Could be useful. But putting the thread all back together, we get a scenario that seems a bit remote to become a priority for a DP release, and there are lots of easy workarounds.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:OK, I see where you would want to send someone custom samples. Could be useful. But putting the thread all back together, we get a scenario that seems a bit remote to become a priority for a DP release, and there are lots of easy workarounds.
I've been with MOTU since the beginning and obviously I love DP. But there are some obvious features and non-inclusions to the DP package that MOTU could rectify. Not having a sampler/sound design tool is one near the top of the list. If Logic can get Alchemy and Cubase had Halion and these three DAWs are all fighting for the same market it only makes sense, especially considering the power and interest that already exists for UVI/IRCAM technology.

I don't mind paying for MK5 but if I were a new costumer looking at DP, I'd rather MK5 be included in DP so I could spend my money on Falcon. You get the import features of MK5 and the lighter resources, but the power of Falcon when needed.

That's just how I feel about it. I've been quiet about this but when MOTU threw us a bone with MX4 I rolled my eyes.

If MOTU can legally do it, they should absolutely bundle MK5 with DP.

Still, MOTU is the coolest company in the biz, so its all good.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE