Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 voucher!

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

wilkinsi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 vouc

Post by wilkinsi »

I'm replacing my RAM and reformatting my SSD tomorrow. If MF3 stays working, I will be happy. I too think MOTU should fix these crashes and post the updated .exe file on their website, perhaps a v3.3 to replace the v3.2. I would hate to have wasted £370 on something that crashes on a regular basis.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Holding out still.

Can't afford both and until something definitive is announced I won't risk jumping ship only to find that I'm then tempted to jump back again; it's as simple as that.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's Nicky!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

It's Magilla, that big, fat Gorilla!

Everybody, run for your lives! :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

I am terrified! :lol:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Of which one?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Are we done yet...? ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:What makes me feel quite annoyed is this attitude by MOTU that lets its software die with no updates for years, and no announcements regarding this at all (like their notation app, the Unisyn app, and now perhaps M5).
Remember Freestyle? Great little MIDI sequencer that possibly had a nice future but MOTU gave up on it soon quickly.
Why not FIXING MF and incorporate it into DP, the same way they did with their synth? Is that because their licensing deal with IRCAM or UVI? If so,
I wish they did what Spectrasonics did to develop their own engine. MOTU certainly has the chops to pull it off!
Do they?
MachFive is a GREAT freaking sampler when it works! I love it, and I don't want to see it die and have to spend more money to replace what I already have :unicorn:
It seems obvious that UVI built MF3 and when it wasn't supported as well as hoped either MOTU or UVI (or both) didn't want to sink resources into. Maybe UVI was ready to take control of MF3 and it's been relabeled. MF3 imports Akai libraries amoung others (maybe that was MOTU's contribution).

I started several threads requesting MOTU to bundle MF3 with DP but that's before I thought about how the agreement with UVI might be preventing that. Besides it feel on deaf ears.

My hope now is that UVI and MOTU are on excellent terms and Falcon, or a Falcon SE will be bundled with DP10. However I really don't see that happening as Falcon is doing well and establishing the UVI name. It's too bad because with Apple buying Alchemy and Cubase having Halion DP is the only major DAW without a bundle sampler. And now Studio One is making major inroads into the market (not that I like it, in fact I don't although that's just me).

I don't know what type of resources MOTU has but DP9 was a minor upgrade (should have been DP8.5), and I fear they're seen as our fathers DAW. Surprisingly enough it was VSL and the recent MAS version of Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 that saved DP for me.

I know MOTU works closely with some of the big names in Hollywood but I wish they'd listen to the typical forum member.

1) Come up with an expression maps feature (if that's not dependent on VST3, but if so start pushing MAS harder to developers. AU isn't going to save them.)

2) Allow for either separate MIDI and instrument channels or give users the option of a combined track.

3) Please improve Quickscibe. It's a joke. Logic's Score editor blows it away.

But staying on topic, not including a quality sampler like MF3 or Falcon is inexcusable.

So ends my rant of the week..

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
billf

Post by billf »

Steve Steele wrote:
But staying on topic, not including a quality sampler like MF3 or Falcon is inexcusable.
I work with several DAW's, so I like cross platform samplers like Kontakt, SampleTank, and MachFive/Falcon. But I have a question for the proponents of a "bundled sampler" model: what are the advantages to it that you see?

I don't want to start a debate, but rather I just want to understand the viewpoint.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

billf wrote:
Steve Steele wrote:
I work with several DAW's, so I like cross platform samplers like Kontakt, SampleTank, and MachFive/Falcon. But I have a question for the proponents of a "bundled sampler" model: what are the advantages to it that you see?

I don't want to start a debate, but rather I just want to understand the viewpoint.
Good question. I agree about cross platform samplers for playback of sample libraries. But as a sound design tool, which I do not really like Kontakt for, an included sampler with the power of MF3 or Falcon would be most welcome. And Nano Sampler doesn't count! :D

Plus it's a MOTU product. Why did MOTU start including MX4? A sampler with good editors or modules is just a nice tool that I'd like see added to DP.

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Im interested in this too. I don't understand why a bundled sampler is important or desired.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Steve Steele wrote:
billf wrote:
Steve Steele wrote:

Good question. I agree about cross platform samplers for playback of sample libraries. But as a sound design tool, which I do not really like Kontakt for, an included sampler with the power of MF3 or Falcon would be most welcome. And Nano Sampler doesn't count! :D

Plus it's a MOTU product. Why did MOTU start including MX4? A sampler with good editors or modules is just a nice tool that I'd like see added to DP.
The main reason to have a sampler embedded is simple, it allows DP to save your samples with a Project in one fell swoop. As it stands if you want M53, Kontakt, Battery or any other sampler to save sounds within a Project to archive it you have to save the samples into the Project within the plugin.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Henry Robinett

Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 voucher!

Post by Henry Robinett »

I never had that problem. I just save Battery and Kontakt with the DP Project. I create a BATTERY file for the song and save. Ive never had a problem yet.

I mean yeah. I guess I don't see what the issue is, still.

All the best,
http://www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote: The main reason to have a sampler embedded is simple, it allows DP to save your samples with a Project in one fell swoop. As it stands if you want M53, Kontakt, Battery or any other sampler to save sounds within a Project to archive it you have to save the samples into the Project within the plugin.
I guess you mean like Logic allows you to save copies of the EXS24 samples used in a project along with the project folder or package. But just saving the project saves enough info for the sampler to load the samples used in the project, and saved inserts handle any edited instruments, so I don't understand what is gained from saving copies of the actual samples too. It makes the project portable, but doesn't the recipient of the project still have to have licensed copies of all the samples used anyway?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote: The main reason to have a sampler embedded is simple, it allows DP to save your samples with a Project in one fell swoop. As it stands if you want M53, Kontakt, Battery or any other sampler to save sounds within a Project to archive it you have to save the samples into the Project within the plugin.
I guess you mean like Logic allows you to save copies of the EXS24 samples used in a project along with the project folder or package. But just saving the project saves enough info for the sampler to load the samples used in the project, and saved inserts handle any edited instruments, so I don't understand what is gained from saving copies of the actual samples too. It makes the project portable, but doesn't the recipient of the project still have to have licensed copies of all the samples used anyway?
I thought he meant for future archival purposes or remasters, but maybe you're right. Although, I've never not just sent audio stems only. Nobody has the exact same sample libraries and plugins.