Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 voucher!

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 voucher!

Post by mhschmieder »

Saw this at vi-control and it wouldn't be right to cut/paste the details, but if you register your MachFive 3 license with UVI and also use their $30 holiday promo code, you can get Falcon for $149 and then receive a $100 voucher (which many are using for Ravenscroft Piano).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
nk_e

Re: Christmas cross-grade special for Falcon: $149+$100 vouc

Post by nk_e »

Wow. That's a great deal.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I got that email this morning. Not certain I will bite as I have never used the synth functions in MachFive.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Post by dix »

mikehalloran wrote:I got that email this morning. Not certain I will bite as I have never used the synth functions in MachFive.
My thought as well, but noticed that the granular stuff (which I do use in Mach5 extensively) is also greatly improved in Falcon. Eight grain streams as compared to one from M5, among other enhancements.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Question for the MachFive 3 users who have now moved on to Falcon. I'm leaning towards buying Falcon simply because M5 is, in my mind, a dead end product and Falcon is the future. That said, at $349, as much as you do get, you don't get any of the instrument modules that come with MachFive 3 like Mark79, Piano, Universal Instruments etc ... And, while the future doesn't look bright, M5 3 at $249(crossgrade) doesn't look bad considering it has most of what Falcon offers plus all the libraries. I do hate usb iLok dongles, so that is a benefit for Falcon's computer based auth. Hmm, thoughts?
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mwilloam wrote: as much as you do get, you don't get any of the instrument modules that come with MachFive 3 like Mark79, Piano, Universal Instruments etc ...
All your MachFive libraries load in Falcon with zero issues. The dongle is still required for the libraries though.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

Michael Canavan wrote:
mwilloam wrote: as much as you do get, you don't get any of the instrument modules that come with MachFive 3 like Mark79, Piano, Universal Instruments etc ...
All your MachFive libraries load in Falcon with zero issues. The dongle is still required for the libraries though.
True, but want the dongle gone. I can't stand it. Had it since M5 v1 in 2003 and I protect that thing like it's made of glass, so moving around with it is just, tiring.
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

I recently signed up for the UVI Falcon crossgrade from MachFive 3. Now I've got a $100 voucher. Which soundware library would be anything like EMU's Proteus 2000 sounds?
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
wilkinsi

Post by wilkinsi »

UVI tell me they are bringing out a new soundware library at the end of the month. All I've been told is stay tuned, so there are no clues as to what it will be. My general impression so far is that Falcon is not only far more stable, but also has far more soundware expansions than MachFive 3. Had I known all this in the first place, I'd have just gone for Falcon and not touched MF3 at all.
Mac Mini 2018 - 8GB RAM, 3.6 GHZ Quad Core, 128GB SSD
External 2TB NVME TB3 SSD, External 1TB SSD (OS recovery), External 500GB TB/USB SSD (Time Machine backup)
MOTU 828es
Digital Performer 11, UVI Falcon.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wilkinsi wrote:UVI tell me they are bringing out a new soundware library at the end of the month. All I've been told is stay tuned, so there are no clues as to what it will be. My general impression so far is that Falcon is not only far more stable, but also has far more soundware expansions than MachFive 3. Had I known all this in the first place, I'd have just gone for Falcon and not touched MF3 at all.
It was widely reported on many threads here and elsewhere that M53 does not run many of the newer UVI libraries. Fortunately, the free UVI player does. For those of us who have no need for Falcon, this is fine.

Otoh, MachFive does run a large number of file types that will not open in Falcon or the UVI Player.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, Mach5 is working fine here in DP 9.02. What I am seeing is a kind feeding frenzy among some members who appear to be jumping to F****** ( :D ) because other members are having problems. I don't discount there are some issues with M5 as there are issues with ALL software in my experience.

I have never and will never buy software because of a fear based on speculation (that M5 is going south) or anecdotal "evidence" based on someone else's reported experience.

M5 remains completely functional and as capable as ever. F****** (you can fill in the stars with whatever letters you like, btw) is not even on my radar at this point. $350 buys a lot of other stuff that is way more useful in my world than essentially duplicating 90% of an app I already own. And as pointed out above by Mike, the UVI libraries that don't work in M5 work in the free UVI player. All I can assume from some of these posts is that a few members only want to run one instance of one player/sampler, which, in a complex setup with a lot of instruments, is a very bad choice to start with - especially in multi-core systems.

I'll keep my MachFive, thank you very much.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I only considered this because of UFS mount errors that cause crashes sometimes when loading a project with instances of MF3 in it. I could use UVI Player, but I'd like editing capability also.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:I could use UVI Player, but I'd like editing capability also.
This has also occurred to me. There are just so many VIs and other tools to manipulate a sound that (essentially) duplicating M5 for a few extra buttons to push doesn't seem worth the cost at this point. Plus I am confident that MOTU will find a better answer to the F****** quandary people are experiencing.

That is not to say it is a "bad" program and if you can afford to drop $350 on it, that's great. I just budget my disposable income somewhat differently...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm troubleshooting MF and DP for the last time this evening.

I will do all the steps you recommended in my other thread with MF. But if keep getting crash fests, like the other night, I will gladly buy Falcon. It makes no sense to have a software that crashes every 5 minutes or every time you move a knob or browse...

What makes me feel quite annoyed is this attitude by MOTU that lets its software die with no updates for years, and no announcements regarding this at all (like their notation app, the Unisyn app, and now perhaps M5).
Why can't they answer a simple question??? Will they do something with it, or will they kill it?
The least MOTU could do is tell us is> "move on, or hold on". I would hold on if they promised to fix it NOW...
Why not FIXING MF and incorporate it into DP, the same way they did with their synth? Is that because their licensing deal with IRCAM or UVI? If so, I wish they did what Spectrasonics did to develop their own engine. MOTU certainly has the chops to pull it off!

MachFive is a GREAT freaking sampler when it works! I love it, and I don't want to see it die and have to spend more money to replace what I already have :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

For myself I never owned MF. I jumped right into Falcon.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..