Memory - F Grand Piano and Telematic, etc

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

tonyton
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Memory - F Grand Piano and Telematic, etc

Post by tonyton »

Hi

Every time I load the Fazioli piano or Telematic guitar I find that DP shuts down after playing 1 or 2 measures. I'm using a Mac Pro with 13GB of memory - I know it's a strange amount of memory (can't think how I ended up with it!) but I would have though it ought to be sufficient. I don't think this particular Mac will accept much more but do you think would more memory solve the problem?

Thanks

Tony
logburner
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Memory - F Grand Piano and Telematic, etc

Post by logburner »

Hi,

I have a feeling that "disk-stream" is turned off. When it's switched off, Machfive 3 becomes enormously RAM-demanding and may cause crashes.

I run MF3 in Ableton Live 9.2 64bit with F Grand, The Upright and other 3rd party instruments on Win7 machine with just 8GB of RAM, no problem here.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

Also, watch how many instances you have opened for those instruments.

Last I checked, MachFive 3 was quite dumb in memory handling, loading everything as many times as the number of instances you use.

I never understood why it´s not like other VIs, so it doesn´t matter how many instances you load, it should always only load it once, and simply fire up the loaded samples on demand as they are requested by various tracks-
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

logburner wrote:Hi,

I have a feeling that "disk-stream" is turned off. When it's switched off, Machfive 3 becomes enormously RAM-demanding and may cause crashes.

I run MF3 in Ableton Live 9.2 64bit with F Grand, The Upright and other 3rd party instruments on Win7 machine with just 8GB of RAM, no problem here.
Quite possible. I had this problem with the same MachFive patches. I got what looked like CPU overload, but it was disk access overload. Maximizing the amount of RAM available to M5 in it's setup and keeping streaming on pretty much cleared it up.

Using activity monitor while doing these settings help figure out what's going on.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Let's start with the basics. Are you running it 32 or 64bit? Are you sure?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro