MachFive 3 not reading Akai CD-ROM

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MachFive 3 not reading Akai CD-ROM

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi.......
Anyone have any ideas why MF3 is not reading Akai CDs? I have tried a few. In each case, I get a system dialog: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

Tried hitting the "Ignore" button, but MF3 won't mount it. Have tried more than one disc. Also have tried MF3 standalone as well as within DP9. These are commercial East West) CD-ROMs, not home brewed discs.

Any ideas how I can get it to read?

Thanks!
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
billf

Re: MachFive 3 not reading Akai CD-ROM

Post by billf »

I've had that issue in the past, but I don't think it is a MachFive issue. I think the fault lies with post-Rosetta OSX and disks that were issued in the pre-Intel era. Regardless, I had to use the Chicken Systems Translator program to get it to read the samples disk, but it's been a while, so unfortunately I don't remember the specific steps I took.

If you have a Windows Bootcamp partition or Windows VM, that is another option.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, billf. I have a TechLink into MOTU to see what they say. I was afraid of something like this when I moved to Yosemite. Hope to find a work-around.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Re: MachFive 3 not reading Akai CD-ROM—SOLVED

Post by Rick Cornish »

Worked through this with Magic Dave via MOTU TechLinks. Eventually, I discovered the solution below. Dave thinks it may be OS related, so word to you MF3 users who are moving to Yosemite:

1. Insert disc, wait for pop-up message from OS that the disc is unreadable
2. THEN launch MF3 standalone
3. After MachFive launches, open the browser… and the Akai (or Kurzweil, etc.) disc should appear

Note that you'll need to insert the disc and wait for the OS to respond to it BEFORE launching MachFive.

For subsequent discs, it is necessary to quit MF3 and restart after inserting each new CD-ROM.

On page 94 of the MachFive user manual is the procedure for saving disc images to a hard drive. Once you get the CD-ROM mounted, that's the way to make sure you have the patches/samples more easily available.
Rick Cornish

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thanks, Rick,

I don't have the Akai but there are other older libraries where this might work. In any case, you've given something for us to try.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yes, that's it!

I too encountered this issue when I first installed M5 and had forgotten the solution. Of course, once it's on your drive you can tick the checkbox to auto mount the volume / CD in M5's prefs, which is what I did.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here