Getting Legato Instruments to Play

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

bkshepard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting Legato Instruments to Play

Post by bkshepard »

I'm using Mach Five 3.2.1, but I also have the 4 DVDs that came with version 2 that include the VSL_Orch instruments. Many of those instruments have a Legato version. However, when I try to load them, they don't play. All the other instruments work fine, just not the legato ones. Is there something else I need to do to use them? Thanks!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
bayswater

Re: Getting Legato Instruments to Play

Post by bayswater »

I have had legato instruments not play properly in VIs loaded in DP. It happened when the MIDI notes overlap, so in some cases, notes already playing take priority over new notes, so the new notes don't get triggered. Other DAWs give priority to new notes so they cut off existing notes in legato patches. I'm pretty sure this stopped happening sometime late in DP 7 or early in DP 8. But, anyway, see if shortening the MIDI notes makes a difference, making sure there is at least one tick between the release of a note and the attack of the note after it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Thanks Bayswater. Unfortunately, I don't think it's DP. I have the same problem in standalone mode of M5. I've tried long notes, short notes, sustain pedal, mod wheel, anything I can think of to get it to sound. Even clicking on the little keyboard in M5 doesn't trigger the sounds. I know these were part of the M5 (v. 2) release and I'm wondering if something has changed in regards to how legato samples are triggered in v. 3. It's odd because everything else from that DVD works great.
-Brian

bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

According to the reply to my MOTU TechLink (yes, they replied in less than 24 hours!), it's due to a change in the way legato rules are implemented between v. 2 and v. 3 of MachFive. I'm fairly new to the whole "rules" thing and no longer have v.2 installed. Does anyone have any hints, tips, or suggestions for converting legato rules from v.2 to v.3? Thanks so much!
-Brian