Triggering loops (and stopping them!)

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

tonyton
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Triggering loops (and stopping them!)

Post by tonyton »

I fear this is a very basic question - apologies if it's been covered elsewhere.

How do you stop and start a drum loop within Machfive 2 or 3 in a DP sequence? I don't want to do anything complicated like editing the sample but simply want it to start playing at (e.g.) bar 3 and have it stop at (e.g.) bar 32. I'd assumed I'd use a MIDI key but can't find any way to get it to work. (I've read the manual but it made my head hurt).
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tony
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Triggering loops (and stopping them!)

Post by dix »

Huh? Just record a note from bar 3 to bar 32. I'm not sure what you're asking.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You create loops with the loop tool. Drag across the bit you want to loop. Change the number of times it loops in the Event list or Event window in the edit screen.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tonyton

Post by tonyton »

But if I choose a loop it just keeps playing forever - what am I missing?
tonyton

Post by tonyton »

Thanks for your help and advice. I think I'm not being clear. I am totally familiar with loading instruments such as pianos and guitars and playing them via a track/channel in DP. But when I select a drum loop in a part it just continues to play whenever the sequence is running. So if I want to alternate loops I don't seems to be able to do so. I realise it's probably different to playing instrumental sounds but I just can't understand why or how....
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

From your description I can't figure out how get the same thing to happen. If the loop parameters in the Event list window, and audio loop parameters in the Soundbite info window don't help, then I'm at a loss.

Maybe I'm thrown off by the words: I don't understand what you mean by "select" a loop in a "part".
tonyton

Post by tonyton »

Yes I'm sure I'm not expressing it correctly. What I'm doing is double clicking on the Machfive 3 'track' in DP to get to the Machfive window. The I double click where it says 'empty' in what I believe is called a part (it says part next to 'Tree,' 'List', and 'Browse,') and then I go to Universal Loops and Instruments and select Loops. I then select (eg.) Drumloops Rock and (say) Classic Beat. This loads successfully into the part but I am at a loss as to how to control it - if I play the sequence it plays and continues until I stop. What I can't understand is how to start and stop it within the sequence. I think I'm probably approaching this completely the wrong way round!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sorry, my mistake. I skimmed and stated looking in DP, rather than MachFive. When I've got the system up, I'll have another look.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You probably have autoplay selected. It's under the sample display, to the right of centre. Turn that off and the samples should only respond to incoming MIDI, and only for the duration of the MIDI note.
tonyton

Post by tonyton »

Great - thanks. I'll try that and let you know.
tonyton

Post by tonyton »

Hmm - sorry - tried turning it off but it didn't make any difference. There must be something basic I'm doing wrong!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I tried it out. With the autoplay selected, I got what you reported: pressing play, generating any MIDI, etc. sets the loop playing and it never stops. Turn it off, and I only get sound when a MIDI input Note On is received, and it the sound stop at Note Off.

I also notice that you have to stop all playback before turning autoplay off, otherwise whatever sample is looping continues to loop.
tonyton

Post by tonyton »

Yes that's it! Thank you very much. I now wish I'd asked the question a week ago which would have saved me a lot of grief!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Oh man, a whole week of listening to that loop.

You poor bugger! LOL

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Rockshamrover

Post by Rockshamrover »

I've had similar problems and I'm sure there's an inbuilt way to do this within M53. My work around is to use volume automation. Not ideal, but it gets the job done :)
http://soundcloud.com/rockshamrover" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Born to run, but mostly walk.