Machfive 4 this year?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Machfive 4 this year?

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:There's also something called "brand loyalty" and it seems UVI is trying hard (too hard in this forum, IMO) to snag customers from MOTU and that doesn't sit well with me at all, not one bit (pun intended).

I haven't seen a single post from UVI or anyone even remotely employed by UVI here. Some forum members have reposted quotes from other forums and that's it. I play music mostly in bands that get underground recognition, nothing more. Never worked for any manufacturer of anything. I never have and probably never will take a sponsorship of any product, goes against my life philosophy.

I'm simply reporting what I see, that M53 is stagnant and UVI have moved on. I see no reason to place blame onto either companies shoulders; we simply do not know what happened there.

MOTU haven't updated or improved M53 or any of their plug ins for some time, years actually. Some of us feel that's a good indication that it's time to move on.

I think you're blaming the messengers a bit for the message that's all.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Maybe I'm overreacting to this. Maybe not so much...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 55#p516955
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

It remains a non-issue for me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe I'm overreacting to this. Maybe not so much...

Like I said no one here is a shill for UVI, you're going ad hominem when it was you who asked what the 'advantage over M53 is?', stating people are marketing at you the product when they respond to your question? even insinuating that they work for UVI, so yeah, you're overreacting a bit.

I had the unlucky experience of being a new Logic user when Apple bought them, and looking for help on forums included a lot of Windows users spitting angry at Apple. As if I had anything to do with the acquisition? We don't even know if UVI and MOTU aren't still working together in some respect, or what happened really...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider »

You know, I was genuinely trying to be helpful by attempting to address what I thought was your genuine desire to know something. You asked a question, I provided an answer. I actually went out of my way tracking that UVI post down, because it was the only place where I'd seen a concise list of new features.

I've been a MOTU fan and customer ever since I got my first Mark of the Unicorn MIDI interface in the early 90s. I was following this thread because, as a MachFive user and advocate (I've always felt it was an under-rated, overlooked tool), I was actively interested in MachFive's development. I started posting in the thread once Falcon came out (and I bought it), because I thought people here who hadn't taken a look at it yet might be curious how it compares to MachFive 3. I do not care what tools you use. I was just participating in a conversation about a product that I use.

Can someone please explain all the passive-aggressive hostility aimed at me in this thread? (It wasn't just you, MLC.)
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

UltimateOutsider wrote:

You know, I was genuinely trying to be helpful by attempting to address what I thought was your genuine desire to know something. You asked a question, I provided an answer. I actually went out of my way tracking that UVI post down, because it was the only place where I'd seen a concise list of new features.

I've been a MOTU fan and customer ever since I got my first Mark of the Unicorn MIDI interface in the early 90s. I was following this thread because, as a MachFive user and advocate (I've always felt it was an under-rated, overlooked tool), I was actively interested in MachFive's development. I started posting in the thread once Falcon came out (and I bought it), because I thought people here who hadn't taken a look at it yet might be curious how it compares to MachFive 3. I do not care what tools you use. I was just participating in a conversation about a product that I use.

Can someone please explain all the passive-aggressive hostility aimed at me in this thread? (It wasn't just you, MLC.)
I don't think it's actually passive aggressive behavior directed at you personally,imo it's frustration with the sudden realization that many MOTU/MachFive users have spent lots of $$ on abandon-ware,similar to the reactions many users has a few months back with Camel Audio and Alchemy.
The software market is volatile too say the least and many users feel like they've been burned.
I just bought M5 in May or June,do I want to pay $175 to upgrade to Falcon,not really but I have until February 1st to decide.......decisions, decisions.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have been glad for the info presented here. I read all the threads, weighed against my usage and concluded that I don't need to spend $179 on Falcon – even if I will get a $100 coupon with my license (it's still in the product description).
but I have until February 1st to decide.......decisions, decisions.
Yep, me too.

I might change my mind, especially if I see something that I can use a $100 voucher on.

May I point out that the Feb 1 date makes the offer expire after Winter NAMM? I don't know if that's significant or not but I will be paying attention.

I had a recent bit of frustration when I tried to use a $78 UVI voucher to purchase a $59 upgrade before that sale ended. I couldn't apply it to single item that cost less. I wound up purchasing something for $29 that I will never use just to save money. The regular price on my upgrade was $100. I would rather have used the voucher and said, 'keep the change'.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Apologies.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Probably worth remembering at this point that the time-gaps between MOTU's full-point VI updates has always been substantial.

I'd like to think that the exorbitant price I paid for M5 down here in Oz wasn't in vain, and I'm prepared to wait quite a while yet to see how this plays out.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

I never did the M52 to M53 upgrade, so I bit on the Falcon intro plus voucher offer, which ends today. So far, very very nice on its own terms, plus it gives me a good platform from which to continue to use my considerable amount of M52 samples and other UVI instruments.

The sound is gorgeous it must be said, definitely current generation stuff, with the somewhat higher CPU hit to match. Not sure if I'd have bought it if I had updated to M53, but since I had not, it fits into a nice niche for me and addresses my main complaint about M53: that it just can't win in the market positioned head to head with Kontakt. Falcon takes the instrument in a more differentiated direction that makes the best use of its distinguishing assets. It's a good move by UVI.

Now if only they'd price their sound libraries more in accordance with reality, it would truly be a grand jetée forward. :wink:
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

jloeb wrote:....Now if only they'd price their sound libraries more in accordance with reality, it would truly be a grand jetée forward. :wink:
+100 on that one....

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

jloeb wrote:Now if only they'd price their sound libraries more in accordance with reality, it would truly be a grand jetée forward. :wink:
+1 more on this.
Ircam solo instruments are impressive, but, heyck, what a price!
And, heyck, Falcon comes only with synths, except very few hybrid patches, no sample library included!
A general library, such as Plugsound pro, with Falcon should be minimum bundle.
IMHO, a 500$ voucher would have been more appropriate for introductory time...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

UVI apparently didn't think some this through. Since they do have an old general library in Plugsound Pro, including it should have been a no-brainier. They offered it for $75 on sale just last month (I didn't bite).

Someone should have figured out that a Crossgrade path available to M5 owners from the start would have been a good idea. They know who the M53 owners are since we had to register the UVI effects separately from M53 when we purchased so that our iLok codes would work. If I had an earlier version of M5 and wanted Falcon, I'd be contacting them through the web site and asking for the Crossgrade. They do respond in a timely matter.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

PSP is a great general synth, sample playback VI. Well worth $75. Falcon? I'm not convinced it's worth it if you have Mach5. M5's sounds aren't all stellar but with a little tweaking they're not so bad. I sometimes use the PSP grand over True Keys in the right context. Very low CPU usage.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

mikehalloran wrote:Someone should have figured out that a Crossgrade path available to M5 owners from the start would have been a good idea.
True, although has anyone from UVI actually said this is the next iteration of MachFive in a new package? I've seen third parties make this claim, but from what I've seen, UVI has only mentioned "legacy customers" (whatever that means) with no mention of M5.

In any event, I have Komplete, M53, Omnisphere 2, Alchemy 1 and 2, and some assorted synths, so adding Falcon right now is not something I'm interested in trying to absorb. So, I decided to go purchase the upgrade to Ozone 7 Advanced instead. I'll revisit Falcon next year after the winter NAMM and see where things stand at that point.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1