Machfive 4 this year?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Machfive 4 this year?

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And remind me again what the great advantage over M5-3 is?
More granular engine choices, wavetable synthesis, physical modeling, additive synthesis, loads UVI libraries with no glitches, no hardware dongle needed, amazing sounding new preset bank... plus a bunch more I'm forgetting.

I dunno man? if you can poo poo that list, then DP9 was a waste of money as well....
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

Paulformer wrote:I have a theory about all this MachFive Falcon stuff. Hope you don't mind me sharing and let me know what you think...
There has been no behind the others back development. MOTU has known about UVI's development and plans for Falcon ( and perceived MachFive4 ) and perhaps even shook hands over releasing licensing etc. UVI gets a revenue upgraded version of the UVI's Workstation and MOTU's plans are....

To release their MachFive integrated with D.P. 10 when it comes out perhaps sometime later next year. This would be like when they included MX4 with DP9.
I've thought that same thing, minus the 'releasing code' part, no one does that, but AAS for example license code to Ableton for instruments embedded in Live. So it's still possible that this is the idea, that MachFive becomes part of DPX. The other scenario is that MOTU are doing their own embedded sampler and that's what ended the UVI partnership.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So, any thoughts?
Only one. Anyone who knows has signed an NDA.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Paulformer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Paulformer »

New Drug Agreement?
Acronyms. NDA ... Oh, ... Non Disclosure Agreement.
For sure. I wasn't expecting any of them on either side to pipe in.
An imbedded sampler would give DP 10 the added power. Hard to see them starting a complete new sampler though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Well... I'd rather see some fixes and specific plugins in addition or in place of including M5. Noise reduction, better time manipulation of samples a la IRCAM, and a robust rebuild of the Notation window into a full featured editing feature. Ideally, that notation window could also serve as an instant piano reduction feature. Any other DAW do that?

Maybe because I already have M5 and the added features are more useful to me.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

If the cross-grade from MachFIVE 3 was $99 I'd be all over it. If it was $129 ($100 less than the current price) I might go for it. At $179 I can't even consider it seeing that Falcon is so similar to M53. I know it (Falcon) is a monster product but it seems it would be more beneficial in the long run to get more users onboard via a lower cross-grade price.
Just my two-cents!
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well... I'd rather see some fixes and specific plugins in addition or in place of including M5. Noise reduction, better time manipulation of samples a la IRCAM, and a robust rebuild of the Notation window into a full featured editing feature. Ideally, that notation window could also serve as an instant piano reduction feature. Any other DAW do that?

Maybe because I already have M5 and the added features are more useful to me.
I'm very very interested in seeing the spectral view turn into an editable space not unlike isotope RX. Imagine the power of having that sort of thing along with the warp marker time stretching concept we see in Studio One and Ableton Live! :shock:

DP could in one solid blow knock out every other DAW for years to come. I don't think this is unlikely, the spectral view already analyzes the data, next is being able to isolate and edit it. 8)
UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And remind me again what the great advantage over M5-3 is?
From Oliver at UVI:
What's new in the UVI engine:

New Oscillators:

- Pluck: Physically inspired string synthesis but aimed toward synthetic sounds with a natural decay. (Be sure to check all the parameters using the inspector of the TreeView panel)
- Wavetable now supports wavescanning with a "position" knob as well as different phase distortion algorithm.. Wavetables with multiple slices can be imported either using one channel per slice or by concatenating slices and tagging the filename with the wavetable period (for example: "MySaw_2048.wav").
- Noise includes new kind of noises (velvet, chaos... etc)
- Analog and Wavetable now supports new unison mode (now default one) with a bigger detune range and hard panning which generates more phase evolution
- Ircam Scrub is a sample based scrubbing algorithm using the same algorithm as in Ircam Stretch
- Ircam Multi granular: a unisson capable and expanded version of ircam Granular

New FXs:

- Tilt filter
- Dual Delay is two channel delay which features a rotation feedback matrix and delay time modulation allowing classic ping pong delays as well as space exploration
- Diffusion is the diffusion algorithm available in SparkVerb as a standalone FX
- SparkVerb now features a pre delay parameter
- EffectRack allows to create new effects by connecting several effects in series into FX chains and in parallel using multiple FX chains. (navigation into the FX chains can be done through the Tree view and breadcrumb on top of the FX tabs)
- CrossOver allows to isolate a specific spectrum band using Linkwitz filter commonly found in multi band processors. It has been designed to be used with the new EffectRack in order to easily achieve multi band FXs.
- VowelFilter: allows you to morph between 2 vowels
- Waveshaper includes different shaping algorithm to create custom distortion
- Phase Meter allows audio signal phase display and analysis
- Redux is an analog-like bit-crusher and sample rate reducer (using proper antialiasing filter before decimation in order to only keep intentional aliasing)
- SVF: State variable filter multimode filter
- Convolver is an efficient convolution algorithm dedicated to small IRs
- Big Pi Tone: Emulation of the tone stack of the Big Muff pedal
- ToneStack: Emulation of several amp and preamp tone stacks

New Event Processors:

- MIDI player MIDI file playback with transposition feature
- Arpeggiator now features a pitch and MIDI CC value per step as well as a more than 100% gate time.
Tie step as well

New Modulation sources:

- Drunk is a random-walk modulation source aimed at simulating natural randomness commonly found in many processes (pitch drift, cutoff variation... etc)
- Analog ADSR: an ADSR based on classic RC decay characteristic with EE decay time constant definition T=RC. should feel much closer to vintage synth feel than the precise digital ADSR.
- Attack Decay: smooth second order envelope
- LFO now features a user-drawn waveform
- Spline mode in step envelope

And other goodies here and there
All of this is exposed in Falcon. This overview video shows several of the new features that weren't in MachFive.
MIDI Life Crisis

Overkill as far as what I need. I'll wait to see if M5 gets an update. I already can manipulate in M5 and other plugs far beyond what I need. I really don't see this as a replacement for M5, and more of a duplication with a few bells and whistles. M5 is still quite capable, thank you very much.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Overkill as far as what I need. I'll wait to see if M5 gets an update. I already can manipulate in M5 and other plugs far beyond what I need. I really don't see this as a replacement for M5, and more of a duplication with a few bells and whistles. M5 is still quite capable, thank you very much.
Pretty much my feeling, too.

An incremental update so that M5 would open the latest UVI libraries and those requiring Kontakt 4.28 and later would be nice and, frankly, is long overdue.

Perhaps M5 is at the end of the line. I hope not but Falcon isn't the replacement I want or need.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

There's also something called "brand loyalty" and it seems UVI is trying hard (too hard in this forum, IMO) to snag customers from MOTU and that doesn't sit well with me at all, not one bit (pun intended).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

I would really, really, really like to know from MOTU whether MachFive is a dead letter as far as further development.... Dave? Anybody? Helps to know how to spend one's resources...

P.S. I'm aware that Olivier used "help people to migrate to Falcon" language in the crossgrade offer. I'm not clear whether that should be taken as dispositive or not.
MIDI Life Crisis

jloeb wrote:I would really, really, really like to know from MOTU whether MachFive is a dead letter as far as further development.... Dave? Anybody? Helps to know how to spend one's resources...

P.S. I'm aware that Olivier used "help people to migrate to Falcon" language in the crossgrade offer. I'm not clear whether that should be taken as dispositive or not.
That's the $64 bit question.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:it seems UVI is trying hard (too hard in this forum, IMO) to snag customers from MOTU and that doesn't sit well with me at all, not one bit (pun intended).
I get the same feeling. There is something about this situation that just does not feel right. Until the dust is settled, I have MachFive 3, Komplete, Alchemy 2, and Omnisphere 2 to keep me busy.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
billf

Post by billf »

jloeb wrote:I would really, really, really like to know from MOTU whether MachFive is a dead letter as far as further development.... Dave? Anybody? Helps to know how to spend one's resources...

Here's the actual text:
We're happy to announce a new cross-grade program to help legacy customers migrate to Falcon and it looks like you're eligible.
Login to your UVI.net account anytime before February 1st, 2016 to get Falcon at the cross-grade price of $179. The discount will be applied automatically.
Please note: this offer is exclusive to legacy users and will not stack with store-wide sales.
Thank you for your continued support.
All the best,
Team UVI
Notice the it does not mention what I would be cross-grading from.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1