Machfive 4 this year?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Machfive 4 this year?

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote:UVI apparently didn't think some this through. Since they do have an old general library in Plugsound Pro, including it should have been a no-brainier. They offered it for $75 on sale just last month (I didn't bite).

Someone should have figured out that a Crossgrade path available to M5 owners from the start would have been a good idea. They know who the M53 owners are since we had to register the UVI effects separately from M53 when we purchased so that our iLok codes would work. If I had an earlier version of M5 and wanted Falcon, I'd be contacting them through the web site and asking for the Crossgrade. They do respond in a timely matter.
Couldn't agree more. It was dumb not to have a deal in place out the door. UVI's libraries are mostly pretty old, simple compared to what's out there now for Kontakt. PSP would be an obvious choice, I think the thing they're trying a little too hard to do is separate Falcon from M53 which IMO has more to do with marketing than actual facts. Third party UVI libraries made for MachFive translate with zero compatibility issues for instance. One thing though, those of us who decided to purchase before the upgrade offer directly from UVI got another $100 voucher, puts the amount at a reasonable $200.

I think the main difference between Falcom and MachFive is why some here won't be interested and I bought it outright, Falcon is leaning even heavier towards sample mangling rather than sample playback. So if you're looking for a good piano or violin sound it's got nothing on Kontakt, (or M53/UVI Player) but if you're interested in taking a sample and making it into something completely different, experimenting etc. then Falcon offers a lot of new features.

I caveat IMO is the redesign of the layout, I don't find it as intuitive as M53, maybe because I'm used to M53? Also, it is still possible that MOTU have rights to use the sample engine in M53 and plan on putting out M54 as an embedded MAS plug in, in DPX or and update to DP9.. Unlikely but possible. <-- this could explain why UVI are going to some length to separate Falcon "ideologically" from M53.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Michael Canavan wrote:[
...I think the main difference between Falcom and MachFive is why some here won't be interested and I bought it outright, Falcon is leaning even heavier towards sample mangling rather than sample playback. So if you're looking for a good piano or violin sound it's got nothing on Kontakt, (or M53/UVI Player) but if you're interested in taking a sample and making it into something completely different, experimenting etc. then Falcon offers a lot of new features....
Agreed. Kontakt is almost unassailable these days as far as breadth and variety of available libraries. It doesn't really encourage experimentation as much...at least not for me. Falcon/M5 (and to some extent Halion) are well suited to sound tweaking/design.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

billf

Post by billf »

Michael Canavan wrote: I think the main difference between Falcom and MachFive is why some here won't be interested and I bought it outright, Falcon is leaning even heavier towards sample mangling rather than sample playback. So if you're looking for a good piano or violin sound it's got nothing on Kontakt, (or M53/UVI Player) but if you're interested in taking a sample and making it into something completely different, experimenting etc. then Falcon offers a lot of new features.
So is it attempting to fill in the void left in the market with Alchemy becoming a Logic only solution?
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

mikehalloran wrote:UVI apparently didn't think some of this through. Since they do have an old general library in Plugsound Pro, including it should have been a no-brainier. They offered it for $75 on sale just last month (I didn't bite).
Well, like the post-hoc crossgrade, another almost-timely retroactive fix from UVI has arisen: a 30% price drop through this weekend that can be stacked with the Falcon voucher to put Plugsound Pro, Beatbox Anthology, Jazzistic, Percussion Store, Xtreme FX and Synths Anthology into "Free!" territory.

So there are now general libraries of several different flavors which can be had pretty much gratis by new Falcon owners who bought into the promo.

Paris Thug Life. They take care of you, eventually.

EDIT: just want to note that the affectionately intended joke above and the response below were posted prior to the evil and horrific acts perpetrated on the great city of Paris this Friday night. Idiot savagery like that will never silence the streets of Paris. Nous sommes tous Parisiens. #portesouvertes
Last edited by jloeb on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Canavan

jloeb wrote: Paris Thug Life. They take care of you, eventually.
:lol:
What blows me away about the 30% off deal is once again how sloppy it is? Think about people who already spent their voucher?! I'm making out like a bandit though, I bought Falcon before they offered the up front discount to M53 users on sale at Best Services for $208, they gave those of us who did an additional $100 voucher, so I've got $200 in vouchers, plus 30% off. :headbang:

Have to say UVI have the weirdest pricing scheme for their libraries. Toy Museum is $500 and their complete orchestra is less than $200?? Same sort of oddness with their prepared piano VS regular ones....
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
magicmusik
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by magicmusik »

have motu confirm that machfive is end of develop ?

now is a update here for falcon. are this new features not in machfive ?
if machfive miss the legato mode in stretch too, then maybe it is clear wy kontakt is prefer. legato mode is a often need feature.
Add Legato mode in IRCAM Stretch allowing to start new voices at the position of currently playing voices. Similar to Legato in regular stretch.

Added support for browsing user wavetables folder located in $ (documents)/UVI/Falcon/User Data/Wavetable/.
Added support for browsing pluck user excitations folder located in $ (documents)/UVI/Falcon/User Data/Pluck/.
Added support for browsing user Impulse Responses folder located in $ (documents)/UVI/Falcon/User Data/IR/.
Allow '.' as note name separator in automatic sample import.
to have sound as machfive i think, there need buy plugsound pro. luckily all uvi instruments i see, are 30% reduced in price. so you can now get with the 100$ coupon this lib. It have also general MIDI sounds.

http://www.uvi.net/de/orchestral-compos ... d-pro.html
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Like Michael Canavan, I was able to stack discounts, coupons, and vouchers to where I practically got Falcon for free, then turned right around and applied the immediate $100 voucher towards an already-discounted (short-term) symphonic library for something like $29 out of pocket.

Under different circumstances, I would have waited this out, given that we have until February to exercise our loyalty cross-grade.

I've only used Falcon briefly so far -- and not yet for sound design work -- but can at least say it is the "snappiest" of the compatible samplers and faster to load the libraries I threw at it. That's worth something, at least.

Given some of the talk that has happened during my absence from the forum, it would no longer surprise me if both Falcon and MachFive continue as complementary and compatible programs that offer slightly different feature sets and user experiences. It isn't unheard of in the industry.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Given some of the talk that has happened during my absence from the forum, it would no longer surprise me if both Falcon and MachFive continue as complementary and compatible programs that offer slightly different feature sets and user experiences. It isn't unheard of in the industry.
This may be so. Taking everything together, I'm beginning to suspect that it was MOTU who said to UVI: want to continue this joined at the hip relationship? Show us something cool.

I think if UVI can 'embiggen' its profile in the States sufficiently, there will indeed be a M5 4 and perhaps an M5 5. So far, pretty good in the splash department. Now it's about follow through.
Michael Canavan

jloeb wrote:
This may be so. Taking everything together, I'm beginning to suspect that it was MOTU who said to UVI: want to continue this joined at the hip relationship? Show us something cool.

I think if UVI can 'embiggen' its profile in the States sufficiently, there will indeed be a M5 4 and perhaps an M5 5. So far, pretty good in the splash department. Now it's about follow through.
I think if MachFive4 happens it will be embedded, whether a paid upgrade separate than DP or not. This would solve any marketplace conflicts with Falcon. Just guessing here, but it could be that MOTU was adamant about embedding MachFive, and that's why Falcon was born, UVI didn't want to lose other DAW users as customers etc.

Even though I bought Falcon I actually hope this is the case. Samplers are the one plug in that it makes sense to embed into a DAW.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I did some shootouts last night with identical plug-in settings for custom presets I designed, for a few UVI-based libraries. No difference at all in the sound, thank goodness, but Falcon is noticeably more efficient in both memory and CPU (and load times).

There are some advantages to the MachFive interface in terms of immediacy of certain features, but overall, Falcon has the additional tab for LFO's etc. It probably corresponds to a similar feature in MachFive that is presented differently.

The actual GUI is near-identical (unlike UVI Workstation). It leads me to believe that the relationship between MOTU and UVI is probably still solid. Perhaps MOTU will do the embedded thing, as suggested, since this is becoming a major competitive point between DAW's (and is likely why MX4 was embedded in DP9).

I am switching my plug-in instances to Falcon from machFive for most things now, just because of the performance difference. But I have some MachFive libraries that probably are captive to that product.

One thing that is interesting: a few libraries and patches refused to load in Falcon as long as I had a simultaneous machFive instance open that was pointing to them. This only held for audio loop enabled products, and I rarely use such stuff except as ambient background, but I did find it interesting that this was apparently seen as two simultaneous uses of a specific iLok library license.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

mhschmieder wrote:But I have some MachFive libraries that probably are captive to that product.
YMMV, but the MachFive programs and multis I have on hand all load in Falcon, even files from MachFive v1. Other UVI-based libraries from MOTU (MSI, Ethno, etc.) all load in Falcon for me as well. I'd say give your M5 files a spin in Falcon, and if they don't load properly, drop a line to UVI.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I don't necessarily remember which ones came bundled with various versions of MachFive, but none that I have tried fail in Falcon. My UVI suite is growing so quickly though, that I don't have time to try them all.

I was debating updating the Telecaster (the MachFive version doesn't qualify for an upgrade coupon) during some recent sales, but decided I have too many guitar libraries as it is, given that I only use them in early mock-up phases while fleshing out a song arrangement (and only then when I wrote in my head vs. creating music while fiddling around on a live instrument).

Michael Canavan

Michael Canavan wrote: I think if MachFive4 happens it will be embedded, whether a paid upgrade separate than DP or not. This would solve any marketplace conflicts with Falcon. Just guessing here, but it could be that MOTU was adamant about embedding MachFive, and that's why Falcon was born, UVI didn't want to lose other DAW users as customers etc.

Even though I bought Falcon I actually hope this is the case. Samplers are the one plug in that it makes sense to embed into a DAW.
I'm quoting myself here, in reference to my thinking that M54 will not happen. The pic icon on the MOTU page for their Instrument lectures tomorrow is in my opinion definitely MachFives sample page. No reason for them to do that if MachFive is dead in the water.

It's fun to make predictions, going out to see a friends band, so by the next time I can post here, there should be information on anything MOTU are planning on doing. Here's hoping MachFive 4 is a built into DP plug in like MX4 is now. The advantage of being able to save samples with a DP project is the reason I think samplers are good as embedded plug ins. That and version upgrades don't require you to have Kontakt 2,3,4,5 on your system to load older sets etc. :x
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Michael Canavan wrote:Here's hoping MachFive 4 is a built into DP plug in like MX4 is now.
That would be super. Not only to have that level of integration, but to see a supplier pay so much attention what its customers say.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

With all the talk about Falcon, wouldn't it be great if instead of hanging on to the UVI thing, MOTU revamped M5 completely AND included the new version in DP? I do use the standalone version as well at times but I suppose that would go away under that scenario.

A boy can dream... can't he?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS