Machfive 4 this year?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Martini Hill
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Machfive 4 this year?

Post by Martini Hill »

Michael Canavan wrote:
Martini Hill wrote: Thanx Mike. I should have clarified. It almost sounded as if it was part of a DP 10 upgrade. Either or, these improvements are very exciting!
You were clear, you must have missed that MOTU have consistently called this an update, indicating that it's not going to be a paid upgrade to a new version. That's what I was trying to explain. :)
Understood. These are pretty significant updates! Excited!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Basstrup wrote:
musicman691 wrote: Still not understanding what LUF is as nothing on the page linked to seems to explain it.
LUFS are Loudness Units relative to Full Scale - is a loudness standard designed to enable normalization of audio levels for delivery of broadcast TV and video
Still don't understand what that means in relation to this thread if that's the definition you're using. A few posts back you posted this:
"the amount of LUFs in MOTUs silence speaks volumes" - not getting the analogy at all.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

musicman691 wrote:
Basstrup wrote:
musicman691 wrote: Still not understanding what LUF is as nothing on the page linked to seems to explain it.
LUFS are Loudness Units relative to Full Scale - is a loudness standard designed to enable normalization of audio levels for delivery of broadcast TV and video
Still don't understand what that means in relation to this thread if that's the definition you're using. A few posts back you posted this:
"the amount of LUFs in MOTUs silence speaks volumes" - not getting the analogy at all.
Broadcast TV is LOUD, relative to loud, MOTU have said NOTHING. i.e. There is no news, as in MachFive is dead.
This is all very cryptic, but suffice to say MOTU have a tendency not to announce the death of a product. Unisyn is a good example, you can still get their editor librarian for hardware synths, although I believe it's still an OS9 only program. They don't have it listed, it just sort of stopped being upgraded. Not my favorite MOTU company policy. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Nobody announces the death of a software product unless they are replacing it with something massively better. They just fade away, start getting referred to as "legacy," etc. It's not a "MOTU policy." It's an industry thing.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

You know, given that its death wasn't announced, it might be that we are going through a diplomatic/polite phase where MachFive takes a bit of a back seat while UVI gets some money back from Falcon development and makes rapid headway with market penetration of UVI vs. Kontakt powered libraries.

I think if the MOTU libraries and MachFive were "pemanently" dead, it would have been announced by now, with one-time cross-grades on offer.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

mhschmieder wrote:
I think if the MOTU libraries and MachFive were "pemanently" dead, it would have been announced by now, with one-time cross-grades on offer.

There was a cross grade program for M5 users when Falcon was released,fwiw they might still have it.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Michael Canavan

kgdrum wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:

There was a cross grade program for M5 users when Falcon was released,fwiw they might still have it.
Exactly. If MOTU offer MachFive in any form it's going to not be coded at all by UVI, and that requires the sort of fortitude that Spectrosonics had when them and UVI parted ways. took about three years to get it running.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
grey

Post by grey »

Its been 4 years since the last update.
Pro tools has Falcon now.
Is there any hope for our beloved Machfive?
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

grey wrote:Its been 4 years since the last update.
M5-3 has been great. I am not aware of any problems or features that F has that M5 needs. The buzz I’ve heard is that the licensing has moved to F and M5-3 is the last version from motu.

What is it that’s lacking for you?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

You mean, it includes it as part of the program?
If so, wow! They also have Sibelius, right?

I wish MOTU gave MF3 some very needed love. It keeps crashing on me constantly, making it totally unreliable. It's been ALWAYS like that for me across many DP versions and OSs.

It's a pity because it's such a great sampler! I like it much more and I think it's more powerful (in terms of features) than Kontakt...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The thread suggesting that Falcon is MachFive V4 is over three years ago. We still don't know if that is true, but unless MOTU has something to say about it in January we might as well assume it.

I have both. Falcon is a little easier to navigate, and there are probably a few minor features that M5 doesn't have. Nothing leaps out. Falcon is not as multilingual as M5 when it comes to use of libraries in other formats, although even this is only true with old EXS24 and Kontakt patches.

The significant difference is whether new libraries in the UVI format work with M5. My understanding is that most, if not all of them, don't.

As for cost, I got Falcon when it was on some sale for less than half of what I paid for M5, and I got the M5 crossgrade from EXS25. IIRC, there was an extra discount for M5 users at the time. So I suspect what you pay for Falcon would not be much different from what you'd pay for a M5 upgrade.

Assuming you can get your samples loaded, I doubt there is anything musical you can do with Falcon that you can't do with M5, but you can say that about any of the main sample players. Although I find Kontakt a PITA, it will do anything Falcon or M5 does.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

FMiguelez wrote:
You mean, it includes it as part of the program?
Avid is saying that Pro Tools will (on 5th December) include Falcon, with the caveat that it will be AAX only, and you need an active Support Subscription Plan (which is similar to Waves WUP). So it appears to be linked to the subscription and will go poof if you decide to allow it to lapse. I'll be able to confirm all this once it's in my account as I do have Pro Tools and an active support plan.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Rick Cornish

Machfive 4 this year?

Post by Rick Cornish »

UVI libraries no longer work in MF3, but the free UVI Workstation plays them just fine. 3rd party UFS libraries (like Acoustic Samples) still work fine on MF3.

I’ve had zero issues with MF3 in DP (I’m currently on v9.52).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Michael Canavan

Haven't thought about this in a while. It's very possible that by now MOTU have pulled the same sort of thing that Spectrasonics did with Omnisphere 2 after cutting ties with UVI and in about five years came up with their own engine. Personally I hope they work on other things, since everyone these days has proprietary sample libraries so no UVI or NKI libraries are going to work in it.