MachFive causes screen stutter after update to Yosemite

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

elektroherd
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MachFive causes screen stutter after update to Yosemite

Post by elektroherd »

I found a partial solution myself. I tried asking MOTU thru a TechNote but their solutions like deleting preferences, etc. didn't help. I am posting this as a quick fix for anybody having the same issue, but also reaching out to see if there is something else I can do to fix the problem.

Every time a MIDI Note on is received by MachFive the counter and meters in DP 8.07 stutter. Trying to adjust another plug-in's parameters was near impossible because of the lag. I noticed the cause was a MIDI note on because it wouldn't happen in the 2 bars I leave at the head of a tune with no data. A drum track with 16th note hihats caused things to be spastic where a slow lead line caused only sporadic glitches that were easily identifiable as Note On's. I had tried muting the audio on the DP track or MachFive, streaming versus not streaming, and using very small files with a Mac that has 12 Gigs of RAM but nothing worked.

Turns out, I like to leave the Edit window as the open screen in MachFive, and all the activity it shows with each Note on, like tracking the envelope, must be slowing things down. The easy solution is to leave it on Info or the other two views. If I need or want to leave the Edit window open, is there a way to turn off the "note tracking" graphics? I tried looking in the manual, but as a casual user, I don't exactly know what to look for, and I have already spent a couple hours on this. As I mentioned in the header, it never really happened until I upgraded my OS.