MachFive 3.2.1 Causes Crash Upon Load

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Aaron Guidry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MachFive 3.2.1 Causes Crash Upon Load

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Hello!

I updated MachFive to version 3.2.1, and now projects crash upon load. I'm using DP8.07.

I get the following error message:

A plug-in (MachFive3) caused Digital Performer to quit unexpectedly.
The crash appears to have been caused by the plug-in below. If you continue to experience similar issues, try removing it from your system:
MachFive 3 (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/MachFive3.component)

So...I re-downloaded the 3.2.1 Installer and the 3.2.1 Update for Mac. Re-installed both, but projects still crash upon opening.

Anyone else experience this?
DP 11, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
billf

Re: MachFive 3.2.1 Causes Crash Upon Load

Post by billf »

I'm on OSX 10.9.5, DP 8.07, and MachFive 3.2.1 works fine.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've gotten that as well. Plugins are the biggest cause of crash on load (of project) for me. I probably crashed over a dozen times just this afternoon when changing projects or editing a plugin setting.

I WANT DP 8.12 AND SOON!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've gotten that as well. Plugins are the biggest cause of crash on load (of project) for me. I probably crashed over a dozen times just this afternoon when changing projects or editing a plugin setting.
Is there a fix? It all worked perfectly prior to updating to 3.2.1. Now, many projects simply will not open no matter how many times I try. They opened flawlessly before. Should I re-install 2.0.1?
MIDI Life Crisis

It's DP, no M5. Until there's an update all I might suggest is dropping back to an earlier version of DP (like 7.24).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

ahhh. if I have DP8.06 saved on a hard drive clone of my system, can I go back to 8.06 by dragging the old version into my application folder? there's probably more to it than that??
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Aaron Guidry wrote:Hello!

I updated MachFive to version 3.2.1, and now projects crash upon load. I'm using DP8.07.

I get the following error message:

A plug-in (MachFive3) caused Digital Performer to quit unexpectedly.
The crash appears to have been caused by the plug-in below. If you continue to experience similar issues, try removing it from your system:
MachFive 3 (/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/MachFive3.component)

So...I re-downloaded the 3.2.1 Installer and the 3.2.1 Update for Mac. Re-installed both, but projects still crash upon opening.

Anyone else experience this?
In these projects... are you bridging any 32-bit plug ins using jBridgeM or 32 Lives? I've had this happen to me when using MachFive with 32 Lives (and I think jBridgeM, although I don't use the latter much anymore). It usually crashes upon loading a project and the error says it was MachFive but it won't happen if I don't have any 32-bit plugs using 32 Lives in the project. Usually I try to reload the project and by the 2nd or 3rd try, I hold my breath until the waveforms on the soundbites have all turned "solid" and are loaded and hit play. If it starts playing and I make it past a second or two, everything will work fine from then on. It's something during the load that makes things fragile.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

James Steele wrote:
In these projects... are you bridging any 32-bit plug ins using jBridgeM or 32 Lives? I've had this happen to me when using MachFive with 32 Lives (and I think jBridgeM, although I don't use the latter much anymore). It usually crashes upon loading a project and the error says it was MachFive but it won't happen if I don't have any 32-bit plugs using 32 Lives in the project. Usually I try to reload the project and by the 2nd or 3rd try, I hold my breath until the waveforms on the soundbites have all turned "solid" and are loaded and hit play. If it starts playing and I make it past a second or two, everything will work fine from then on. It's something during the load that makes things fragile.
Everything is 64-bit compatible. How can I go back to 8.06 from 8.07? I have 8.06 saved, but not as an installer...just on a hard drive back-up clone.
MIDI Life Crisis

Drag the app and you should be fine - as long as the other components (drivers, etc) aren't to blame.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Sampleconstruct

Post by Sampleconstruct »

This could also be related to a certain patch, I have reported many bugs over the few weeks to the UVI devs which were all patch related. For instance if an oscillator was running in granular mode and had the wrong sample path embedded in the preset which would normally result in a "sample not found message", MachFive and the DAW crashes.
Sampleconstruct

Post by Sampleconstruct »

Sampleconstruct wrote:This could also be related to a certain patch, I have reported many bugs over the few weeks to the UVI devs which were all patch related. For instance if an oscillator was running in granular mode and had the wrong sample path embedded in the preset which would normally result in a "sample not found message", MachFive and the DAW crashes.
To add to that, these bugs were introduced with the latest version, and were not present before which would explain the crashes you are experiencing after updating your M5.
MIDI Life Crisis

Again, it is "misguided" (don't have a better word) to assume (now that's the right word) M5 is to blame here. DP crashes with a few other VIs also. It's intermittent but it happens. Mach 5 (3.2.1) was completely stable until DP updated to version 8. The stand alone version of M5 remains completely stable.

In the past month I've been in DP 8 with M5 between 8 and 12 hours per day. Yes, I see crashes. No, they are not always M5 related. Maybe 2 were reported as such, but most were related to Korg Wavestation and Waves plugs. In fact, come to think of it, DP 8 and all VIs were totally stable until I updated the Waves plugs. That started the system down the slippery slope.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

I've now tried opening projects in 8.06 (from a hard drive back up). Still getting the crashes.

Everything was working perfectly prior to upgrading to 8.07. Looking back at my hard drive clone, it appears that I was already running 3.2.1. So...it has to be 8.07. Nothing else has changed except updating to 8.07.

My question now is why can't I open in 8.06?! There must be some system files somewhere that are affecting something. Bleh! No matter how many times I try, it always crashes on load.

Not ALL projects...just a few. Some open fine. But, others won't open at all.
MIDI Life Crisis

You could reapply the 8.06 installer instead of dragging the app. Have y9u deleted all the related plists?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You could reapply the 8.06 installer instead of dragging the app. Have y9u deleted all the related plists?
I don't have the 8.06 installer anymore. Unless it is housed somewhere that I don't know to look. Is it downloadable from MOTU? I have not deleted any plists. Not even sure where to look for that!